Chapter 19

Drew's POV

The enemy was approaching faster than we could register. Amethyst was rapidly directing everyone into defensive positions and we all obeyed without complaints. I looked at my sister in admiration. She's become an amazing leader over the time she's been away from us. There was a flare in her purple eyes as if something had suddenly sparked them. There was an intense determination in her expression as she called out to the group. I smiled at her and she grinned back at me as she gestured for Leaf to take place beside Gary.

I watched as Brendan immediately ran over to May's side who surprisingly did not complain. I felt my eyebrows twitch in irritation for some reason and tried to cool down. He raised his staff up protectively in front of May as footsteps approached us at rapid speed. May drew out her own broadsword and held it out defensively in front of her. I prepared to run over to them but heard Max yell for me. I glanced up at him reluctantly and he gestured for me to join him on the building. I sighed and looked over at May who was speaking to Brendan. I turned away and climbed the ladder of the building to where Max drew his bow, aiming towards the trees.

"I'm surprised May and Brendan are together." I stated, a slight bitterness in my tone and Max glanced over at me in curiosity.

"He's her bodyguard." Max pointed out and I stared at him in confusion.

"Bodyguard? Since when? I thought they only recently just met each other." I said and Max widened his eyes as if he'd said something he shouldn't have.

"I mean he looks like he could be her bodyguard. Yeah that's what I meant." Max mumbled and I just raised an eyebrow at him.

Before I could question him anymore, Max dropped his bow and arrow before shoving me over roughly causing me to stumble slightly. After I regained my composure, I stared at Max in shock. I was going to speak but Max pointed to something behind me. I focused my gaze on an arrow which was directly in the spot I had just been in, its steel arrowhead dug firmly into the roof of the building. My eyes widened in fear and I muttered an apology to Max who shrugged it off and picked up his weapons. He once again aimed for the trees, this time releasing his arrow which pierced the heart of an approaching enemy.

"Ready everyone?" Amethyst yelled out as more began storming through the forwards.

We all silently nodded to each other, each of us with our weapons aimed towards the enemy. The wind batted our faces as if the opposing army brought it along with them and a mysterious aura began surrounding us. The sound of a horn echoed in my ears and I took that as a signal from the enemy. The opposing army began swarming out of the forest like ants. I readied my bow and arrow and shut one eye to focus where I was aiming. More signs of movement caught my eye in the bushes near Ash and Misty who were fending off nearby soldiers and were the closest to the forest border, unaware of the ambush about to take place on them. I shot my arrow in that direction which managed to catch the attention of Misty, and out stumbled an enemy who had been poorly hiding in the bushes. Although my arrow had missed its mark. It was as though the soldier had rapidly dodged my arrow in the blink of an eye. I sighed a breath of relief as Misty attacked him and ended him with a finishing blow.

"Hey Drew, do you feel like you're being watched?" Max suddenly asked me, sweat dripping down his forehead as he continuously fired arrows towards the enemy, not a single shot missing its mark.

"Now that you mention it, I do. It feels like a someone's intensely staring at me." I stated thoughtfully, the feeling lingering on me as I aimed towards more soldiers and Max nodded in agreement, his eyes darting from one direction to another.