1.2 - The Most Important Girl in the World

Start from the beginning

"Well, I've had to listen to Trent practice this week. There's something wrong with his equipment, and the band sounds even worse than ever."

"So bad that Lawndale High is an alternative?"

"It's pretty bad. They're completely out of tune, Trent's speakers aren't working right. And I'm pissed off at him, too!"

"For what?" The two began to walk.

"He ruined my Sick Sad World tapes. I put them into the machine and I just get static. He's done something moronic and taped over them."

"Either that, or the VHS is broken."

"Could be. Nothing's been right all week. Let's go. It has to be better at school than here."

As Daria and Jane walked away, an iron weather vane began spinning rapidly in the backyard. The rooster came to a halt, the arrow pointing directly at Jane. The vane creaked, bending slightly forward for a few seconds...then stopping as Jane disappeared over the hill.

(la la LA la la)

Bret tried to get the VW to turn over, but it was no go. The alternator had died.

"What's wrong, Bret?" said Quinn. "You told me this was a new car!" Quinn folded her arms and tapped her feet.

"It is new, Quinn!" Bret was desperate. This was the only chance he would have to talk to Quinn before she was deluged by hangers-on. His new VW had all of a sudden come to a halt at the intersection, the engine dying. The machine refused to even turn over. He turned at the keys, futilely. Did he leave the headlights on? Was it a battery lead? What?

"Forget it, Bret! I can't sit here at the light all day! I have things to do, people to see! I have to catch up!" Quinn opened the door and stepped out. "Later!! See ya!!"

Bret bemoaned his fate as Quinn walked away. He would have to get the cell phone and call his dad. He didn't know what he was going to do. Now he looked like a moron. The car didn't bother him so much -- it was that he had one chance with Quinn, and he blew it. Moron. Next time, check the battery!

(la la LA la la)

"Here we are, amiga! Lllllawndale High! Good thing they didn't change anything while we were gone."

"A parade would have been too much to ask?" said Daria. "Oh well. We'll just have to get used to living our lives in shameful anonymity."

"How's the headache?"

"Not going away. Pounding like a Mystik Spiral drum solo."

"That bad huh? I have to get to homeroom. I'll catch up with you in O'Neill's class. Later."