Chapter 14-We're Not Ready To Die

That day and the week, they hung out. They played video games, just talked, and just had fun. Before Sonic knew it, it was the day of the deadline, where he had to tell Shadow how he felt and hopefully he would feel the same way. They were at home sitting on the hammock.

"Hey Shadow... there's something I need to tell you." Sonic said.

"What is it?" Shadow asked.

"Look... I know I keep saying a lot has changed between us... I realized... you're the... most amazing hedgehog I've ever met. I... you... just!"

Sonic quickly kissed him on the cheek and buried his face in his hands.

Shadow started to blush very hard. Then he sighed, then spoke.

"Sonic... look... I'm sorry."

Before Shadow could say anything, Sonic ran away.

Sonic ran to a cliff and started to cry.

It's over. My life, everyone's life. Only because I wasn't good enough. Only because I he didn't want me... God dammit! That stupid prophecy! Sonic thought.

He heard someone run up behind him, he knew it was Shadow. Shadow wrapped his arms around Sonic.

"What do you want?" Sonic asked crying.

"I'm sorry Sonic. I wish I could, but after what happened to Maria, I don't want to get close to anyone and lose them later. I can't take another heartbreak." Shadow explained.

"Shadow... just know... I love you until the end of the world." Sonic said.

There was rumbling, but more than what Kilo did. Both Sonic and Shadow saw the plants turn black, everything turned black. This was it. The end of the world. Sonic held Shadow and they both were walking back towards the end of the cliff.

"What's going on?!" Shadow asked.

"The darkness is consuming the world. Shadow we're going to die." Sonic said.

"Not you for sure." Shadow said.

"Teleport! Now!" Sonic yelled at Shadow.

"I... I can't! Dammit!"

Shadow hugged Sonic and jumped off the cliff, they hit the water, and Shadow kept Sonic on the surface, while he kept struggling for air. He was so close to the shore, but Sonic became to heavy, and he was too weak to get air. Also the fact that he had heavy hover shoes didn't help at all. So he gave Sonic one last push to land, and the black hedgehog went sinking down.

Sonic coughed up water on land. It took a moment for him to realize what happened to Shadow.

"No! Shadow!" Sonic screamed.

He went into the water and saw Shadow's body, Sonic dove down and retrieved him somehow, despite him not knowing how to swim.

"Shadow! Wake up! Wake up!" Sonic yelled and he laid Shadow down on the surface.

Shadow opened his eyes slightly.

"Shadow! Please wake up! I love you more than anything in the world! Just please stay with me!  That's all I need from you. Screw the stupid prophecy! I loved you before I knew I had to! Just wake up Shadow!" Sonic yelled.

He hugged Shadow's body tightly and cried.

Then, everything went silent, except for Sonic's crying. He looked up and around. Nothing was moving. It was like time had froze.

Then someone appeared next to him. It was Shadow... but he looked more like a ghost.

"Shadow..."

"Sonic we did it. I love you too. Somehow, I know about what Kilo told you, but I'm going to die. You have to live on without me. The world will be saved, thanks to us. The darkness will disappear and you can live happily with your friends." Shadow said.

"No Shadow... I love you! Living without you is not an option. I'll let this world die and I'll die with it if it means I can be with you." Sonic said.

"That's just what we needed... Thank you." Shadow said.

He disappeared and everything was moving again. The darkness was gone, that could only mean one thing, Shadow didn't listen to Sonic.

Sonic kept muttering 'No' to himself. That was the only thing he thought. No this can't be happening. No please don't leave me. No you can't be gone. No... love you.

"Crybaby." He heard a voice say. Sonic immediately looked at Shadow's face. He eyes were open, he was breathing, and he was smiling.

"Shadow!" Sonic sobbed.

They both hugged each other. Sonic didn't want to ever let go.

"Those words, really proved that you loved me more than anything. It fulfilled the prophecy." Shadow said smiling.

"W-What about you?" Sonic asked. "You said you couldn't love me."

"Love... finds a way to break rules. Even though I kept telling myself I couldn't, deep inside my heart told me I did. I was only willing to let it all out when my life was over and I had no worries." Shadow explained.

"How did you come back to life?"

"The prophecy. That's all I can say." Shadow said.

"Wow... This has been a crazy day... Let's go home." Sonic said.

They both got up, and someone was there staring at them with a smile.

"Hey Kilo. We did it." Sonic said giving a thumbs up and a wink.

Kilo nodded.

She walked over to Shadow.

"Y-You're... Kilo?" Shadow asked.

"Yes. Look, I'm so sorry you had to go through what you did."

Kilo explained everything like she did to Sonic.

"Is there anything I can do to make it up to you?" Kilo asked.

"There might be in the future. How can I get you to me if I need you?" Shadow asked.

"You know that cave? Just go there and I'll be there too. I have ways." Kilo said.

"And are you going to return the stone?" Sonic asked.

"Yes. I will right now. I do not want to ever touch this thing again. Well... I'll be doing that now. Goodbye you two!" Kilo said walking off.

"Bye! See you soon!" Sonic said.

"I hate her." Shadow said gritting his teeth and clenching his fist.

"What?! Shadow no! It wasn't her! It was the stone!" Sonic said.

"I don't care! If she hadn't taken the damn thing, then-" "Then we would have realized we love each other!" Sonic interrupted.

Shadow stared at him.

"You win this time." Shadow sighed.

Sonic have a big happy smile.

They both went back to the shack and they were happy. Until... Sonic's friends came back 2 days later.