34: The Sarabi to His Mufasa

The more I pack, the more I feel stressed. I try not to let this stress phase me so I won't be irritated or crabby around anyone. However, that pretty much means I stop packing entirely and my room just becomes a mess of clothes and memories.

A few morning's before my birthday, I'm sitting on my bed minding my own business when my mom comes into my room and practically explodes.

"Kennedy Freedom Johnson!"

"You just had to remind me my middle name is Freedom." I mumble and smile at her, wondering what I've done. "Yes?"

"Your room! What the hell is this?"

I scratch the top of my head. "Me packing?"

"It's been like this for a whole week!"

She's exaggerating. It's only been like this for five days. "I mean, packing's a process."

My mom glares at me and I decide to shut up. "I want this room cleaned by the time I get back home from work tonight."

"But it's gonna take me –"

"Tonight, Kennedy! You're flying out soon and I want your room to be completely clean by the time you're gone!"

Before I can protest this cruel punishment, she storms out of my room. Reluctantly, I get up and start putting things into one of my many suitcases. I didn't think much about the moving process when I applied for college and now I wish I had stayed close like all my friends: this at least would be a lot easier.

Tyler and Jackie wander in and out of my room during the day, sometimes helping, sometimes bringing snacks for me to eat. Most of the time they're just eating popcorn and watching me struggling with what seems like too much stuff.

Of course I'm still nowhere near done when it hits two in the afternoon. I decide to give up and get a late lunch. I make myself a sandwich and try to waste time, wondering who is gonna get my room together by the end of the day because it's not gonna be me.

My phone rings loudly when I'm finding the will to pack. It's Dante, who is always a welcome distraction.

"Kennedy, baby, what are you up to?" He asks.

"I'm packing my things for college. What's up?"

"You need a hand? I'm bored and I don't wanna stay in my house much longer."

Wow. It's like he's my knight in shining armour or something. "Oh my God, please? There's so much stuff and I don't know if I'm gonna get through it all by the end of the day."

"Do you have a deadline or something?" He jokes.

"Yes." I reply seriously.

"Oh. Well... okay, I'm on my way. I'll see you soon?"

"Not soon enough." I say, suddenly overjoyed.

He laughs. "And I'm corny? That was the cheesiest thing I've heard in weeks."

I scoff, only slightly offended. "In weeks? Do you just not hear yourself speak or something?"

"Whatever Slugger."

He arrives at the house almost an hour later when Jackie has decided to 'help' me out (helping out means he's sitting on my bed watching Peppa Pig and eating some cookies. It's suspicious that a normally twenty minute drive took Dante an hour to complete but I don't ask him about it.

"Your room's a mess." He puts his backpack down next to Jackie and pats him on the head. "Hey J, you good?"

"Yes!" Jackie grins up at him and Dante has a silly little smirk on his face.