20: Sparkly Pretzel

With a smug expression on her face, Stacy takes a hefty step backwards and admires the magic she's done to my face. "Boy, am I good or what?"

I peer around her and gasp when I see my face. Somehow, I convinced her to do my makeup for my appearance at Dante's prom.

"Wow!" I stand up and inspect her handiwork in my full length mirror. She's used a lot of gold and silver, sprinkling my eyelids with a pale peach which really brings out the depth of my eyes. My favourite part is the highlighter she's used – I look like a shiny apple. "Stacy you're a wizard!"

The smugness never leaves. "I mean, if I'm not getting some tonight, I'm glad you are,"

I throw a pillow at her, embarrassed by her comment. She just laughs, with the pillow obviously doing minimal damage and causing her to laugh even harder at me.

"Could you shut up?" I ask, fed up. Of course she doesn't.

Since she's not letting up with her laughter, I decide the best thing to do is to ignore her and put on my dress. It's a strappy rose gold full length dress with lace detail around the neckline which is surprisingly easy to put on and makes me look a lot graceful than I actually am. I attempt to zip myself in by Stacy comes to help me out when she sees me making chicken-esque movements with my arms.

"You look really pretty Kenny," She says and then sighs longingly. "What an outfit,"

"Thanks, Stace. It's totally down to you," I say, checking my hair to see if it's still looking okay. It's almost seven thirty which is the time Dante said he'd pick me up. Apparently his prom starts at eight.

She puts her hand to her chest and grins. "Well, I know, but I'm still inclined to tell you how good you look."

I roll my eyes but before I can say anything, my phone vibrates on my dresser a few times. Stacy picks it up, chuckles at the screen and then throws it at me. I catch it effortlessly and check the screen.

do u know how to tie a tie

BIG HEAD♥♥: 7:21PM

Yes

Is your tie pink?

YOU: 7:21PM

Of course

it's like kind of golden pink though is that okay

BIG HEAD♥♥: 7:21PM

Perfect!!

YOU: 7:21

By the way, I'm outside your front door

BIG HEAD♥♥: 7:22PM

I gasp and sit down. "Stacy how do I look?"

She's tidying up all my makeup stuff now. "Great, thanks to me. Why?"

"Dante's almost here, I've gotta –"

My mom enters the room with a flourish. "Kenny, your boyfriend's waiting for – oh my goodness! You're so pretty!"

She comes over and reaches for me with both hands widely outstretched. I sense one of her big squeezed-into-her-bosoms hugs looming, which kind of sucks because I really want a hug for my nerves but she might rub my face off entirely. Luckily for me, she realises that I'm wearing a full face of immaculate makeup and brings the hands to her chest instead. I give her a weary smile.