8: Geometry Buddies

You good at geometry?

BIG HEAD: 4:32PM

shapes are my shit

YOU: 4:39PM

Busy tonight?

BIG HEAD: 4:44PM

I'm free

YOU: 4:46PM

Cool, could you come to the movie theatre at like, 6?

I'm working tonight but I got a test tomorrow and I can't fail it so we can study here

BIG HEAD: 4:47PM

Is your boss okay with that?

YOU: 4:50PM

He better fucking be

BIG HEAD: 4:51PM

Lol okay I'll see you there

YOU: 4:55PM

"Hey mom, I'm going to study with Dante tonight," I lock my phone up and face my mom who is drinking coffee. She peers up over her cup at me and her eyes narrow.

"Studying? Is that code word for something unsafe?"

Slightly weirded out, I straighten up from my position at the counter. "No... he has a math test tomorrow and asked me for some help,"

She puts the coffee cup down and nods understandingly. "When are you going and where are you going?"

"He's working tonight –"

"He has a job? Holy cannoli," She picks up her cup and takes another sip looking quite impressed.

"I know right? Makes me feel lazy and unproductive, especially since he's got such good grades too," I agree, rubbing my chin thoughtfully. "Anyway he's working so he said we could study there,"

My mom sighs and picks up her phone. "Okay. I guess you can go,"

I was going to go anyway, but I don't tell her this just in case she tells me I can't go after all.

"Thanks,"

"But – Your sister is coming here tonight and I know she wants to talk to you about something or the other,"

I nod and make my way to the door. "If she asks about me, tell her I'll be home before ten – or she can call me if it's super urgent,"

"Will do!"

The mall is pretty busy for a Thursday. It's always busy during the week but today it feels like there's more people around than usual and it's kind of suffocating, especially when everyone is up in your personal space. It takes me more time than it really should to get to the movie theatre, where Dante and this other guy are sitting by the popcorn stand and throwing popcorn at each other's mouths. He gets distracted when he sees me enter and his friend ends up throwing a bunch of popcorn at his head to no response.

"Hi," I wave and readjust my backpack's strap until it's firmly on my shoulder. He's wearing a black polo shirt with the theatre's logo printed on the front pocket and it really suits him. He looks great in black.