26: My Boyfriend is Cuter

"We've decided that we hate you kids and we're going away forever." My mom says plainly on Tuesday night. Jackie begins tearing up as soon as she finishes speaking and I realise that I'm going to suffer tonight.

"Daddy..." He says in a sombre voice. I almost roll my eyes. "Is it... is it true?"

Because David can't see that his second son is three seconds away from a breakdown, he nods and puts on his reading glasses. And when Jackie begins bawling, he dare looks alarmed.

"No Jackie baby! We're just kidding!" My mom says. It's too late, he's set up a nest in my lap and he's crying through my t shirt. "Kennedy, tell him,"

"Look what you've done," I tell her gravely. She actually begins to look guilty and I feel bad so I tell Jackie that she was only kidding while Tyler gets him a tissue.

After he's calmed down, McKinley asks my mom what she means, looking way too tired to be here tonight. Apparently a hamster threw up on her at her placement. I didn't even know they could do that but I do pity her; being a vet seems like it must be some tough shit.

"We're going to see the Santa Ana Mountains with David's parents," My mom explains, holding onto Jackie's hand. He sniffles a little, playing up to his role of the wounded child and I almost flick his forehead. "We need a break and the clear mountain air will provide just that,"

"Can I come?" Tyler asks and David winces, giving him his answer. "Why not?!"

"Because you'd insist on singing along to Maybe from Annie when they're trying to sleep," McKinley mutters. I hold in my laughter as the two of them begin arguing with one another.

It's only when mom tells them to be quiet that they shut up. "Kennedy, make sure nobody gets into trouble this weekend. We're counting on you to make sure everything is okay," She says, making Tyler gasp.

"But I'm older than her!" He argues. I let Jackie go when I realise that he's lost all interest in the current conversation and probably wants to watch a cartoon or something. "Why aren't you counting on me?"

"Because Kennedy is more mature than you," David replies.

Little do they know, I spent the whole night watching Bear in the Big Blue House and trying not to sing the goodbye song out loud!

"She is not!" Tyler says. "I'll have you know that Kennedy still cries at the Lion King,"

"We said she's mature, not unemotional. And McKinley wouldn't want to look after you kids anyway, so it's down to Kenny,"

McKinley looks like she wants to interrupt but then shrugs and picks up her cell phone agreeably. "I'll check on them on Saturday morning or something though. Maybe."

My mom is content with this, knowing she won't get anything else from her. I don't even mind, having the house to ourselves would be really cool - Tyler won't throw a party because his last game of the season is on Saturday and Jackie is an angel to me so it'll be good. Besides, I can sleep in on Saturday morning without my mom playing the New Edition at seven am and asking us to tidy up the house.

"Okay, that's fine." Tyler looks bitter at my position of power but he puts me through too much stress for me to care about his feelings right now. He glares at me from across the table top and I stick my tongue out at him.

We disband from our impromptu family meeting and I go sit in the kitchen, eating some pudding. My mom comes in about five minutes later and sits next to me, clearing her throat at the same time. It's obvious that something's on her mind but she doesn't say anything until I ask.