Chapter Fifteen: A Christmas Curiosity

Start from the beginning

Elaine and Melissa both made their way over to the Doctor. 

"Should I call someone?" Melissa suggested, unsure.

"I don't think calling anyone would be a good idea, Ms. Bennett," Elaine replied, as the Doctor moved onto her, both of them looking at each other in the same, strange way. "Jess? Got any ideas?"

She shook her head. "Well, where's he been all night?"

"He's been ... I dunno. In his space ship or something," Melissa replied a bit warily. 

"Maybe he's been drugged," Elaine said, shrugging her shoulders.

"I don't think drugs effect him the same way it effects humans." Jess crossed her arms.

"Maybe he's just having withdrawals." Elaine jumped back on the couch. "You know, because he travels a lot, and because he's not at the moment, it's affecting him. Like an alcoholic having withdrawals with hallucinations and stuff, just on a slightly lesser level." Jess looked at her, astonished.

"What?" she said. "I may be blonde, but I'm not stupid." Jess smiled in agreement, and sat next to the Doctor, who was now positioned on the floor, fiddling with the carpet.

"What am I supposed to do?" she whispered, just so he could hear. He didn't acknowledge her at all. She brought a finger under his chin and moved his head so that he was looking directly at her. "You're usually the one who knows everything, and now you've gone mad."

It was as if a light turned on in the vastness of his mind. In the blink of an eye, he was standing up and straightening out his most valued item of clothing. "What did I miss?" he asked, running his fingers through his hair in vain.

"Woah, Jess, what did you say to him?" Elaine said, impressed. She just rolled her eyes in response.

"I don't know, you just went a bit loopy." Jess said while tying her hair back.

This seemed to bother the Doctor, as he looked to have no recollection of the quite insane incident.

"Okay, now that that's over, presents?" Melissa said, a bit relieved that the situation didn't require any of her interference, especially on Christmas. The two girls - and the Doctor - nodded eagerly, sitting around the tree, decorated with handmade ornaments from years past.

There wasn't much - there never was. At least, not as much as someone like Elaine would be accustomed to. But Jess couldn't help but smile at how fortunate she was to have friends - family - who loved her as much as she loved them. To hell with the presents. Christmas was about love, and family, and homemade chocolate chip cookies, not presents. But she was elated when she tore some wrapping paper apart to reveal a new sonic screwdriver, the same as the Doctor's. She opened it up and pointed it at him, expecting it to simply light up.

"Jess!" the Doctor yelled, ducking. "Be careful."

"Oh my God," she muttered, staring at the device. "Is this real?"

"Of course it's real. I made it almost similar to my own. It just has a few ... extra features programmed in it."

"No. Way." She slowly turned it in her hand, admiring every detail of it.

"Thank you, Doctor. Really," she said, admiration flooding her words. She gave him a loving nudge in the shoulder.

"Elaine," Melissa said. "These are for you."

She unwrapped the first box, which held three Naked  palettes from Urban Decay. She checked the wrappings to see whom it was from, and ran into Jess's arms, giggling.

"You have a great taste in makeup," she said with her head rested on Jess's shoulder.

"I literally asked the Sephora lady what I should get you," Jess said through laughter. "She said she knew you. I think her name was Georgie, or something?"

"Oh. My. God." Elaine said, covering her mouth. "Okay, so we met in this really funny way I gotta tell you guys ..." 

And Elaine went on for twenty minutes about how she befriended a Sephora saleslady by accidentally hitting on her and who may or may not sometimes give her free goodies.

"I s'pose this one's for me?" the Doctor said, reaching for the blue envelope that had his name written on it.

Jess looked at the envelope with confusion. "It's not from me," she said.

"Not from me," Elaine repeated, her hands lifted up in innocence.

"Not from me either," Melissa said.

With a furrowed brow, the Doctor stood up and walked into the kitchen, tearing open the evelope.

"Doctor," Jess said, following him. "What is it?"

He finished reading the note and hastily threw it into the flames of the fireplace of the living room.

"I'll be right back," he said, putting on his coat. "I have to do something."

hi it's me again holy crap why didnt i upload this when i wrote it well anyway get ready for some spoopy shit (sorry im watching the xfiles im in a mood)