Chapter Twenty: Prepare for Trouble, Make it Double

The six of them -- Jess, Elaine, Melissa, Rick, Mayra, and the Doctor -- were led to the front yard, where dozens of menacing vehicles littered the driveway and the street behind it.

They must've closed off the street, Jess thought. Whoever these people are, they mean business.

Jess watched the man in the magenta suit intently as he led her and the others to a group of large, prison-like vans. In a bold, white font, the word C.H.A.I.S.E. stood out against the dark exterior.

"Do you know who these people are?" Elaine questioned, turning to Jess.

"No, I've never heard of C.H.A.I.S.E. before."

They were halted, along with their captors. Jess heard Elaine mutter a 'sorry' under her breath and felt the weight of her friend knock into hers.

"Laine, just take your heels off," Jess muttered.

Elaine rolled her eyes. "These shoes cost me like, a thousand bucks. I'm not just gonna leave them on your lawn."

Before she could answer, Jess felt herself hit the ground with a thud. A stinging pain grew in the back of her head.

"That's enough talking," said one of the men behind her. Jess picked herself up, her palm scratched against the rough pavement. She brought it up to her nose. Blood dripped from the smear on the back of her hand. With a groan, she wiped away what she could with the back of her sleeve.

"Three in each," the man in the suit said from somewhere behind Jess. "Don't want our new friends planning anything clever, now do we?" The man walked over to Jess and put a hand on her shoulder, a devilish smile revealing his unnaturally white teeth. Without thinking, Jess spat the blood that was beginning to drip into her mouth on the man's face. Gleaming smile intact, he wiped off the blood from his brow with a patterned handkerchief. 

"You know what to do." The statement wasn't directed at her, but at the man holding her arm. Tightening his grip, he brought both of her arms behind her back and tied her wrists together. One of the other men in gear stuffed a piece of cloth into her mouth.

"That should keep you behaved," the man taunted, flashing another one of his smiles.

Jess could feel something bubble up within her chest as she was tossed into the back of the van with the Doctor and Elaine. Whether it was fear or anger or something else entirely, she didn't know.

The doors slammed shut. The three of them strained against the restraints that were fastened to their wrists and ankles. Jess pushed the blood-soaked rag from her mouth and leaned over to wipe the dripping blood from her face with her knee.

"Jess, are you okay?" Elaine asked, worry present in her shaking voice. Jess definitely looked the worse of the two of them, Elaine only had a small cut above her eyebrow. Jess nodded, bringing the cloth to her nose.

"So, Doctor," Jess began, turning to her bowtie-wearing friend. "D'you have any idea what's going on?"

He shook his head defeatedly. "I'm so sorry. This is my fault."

"Of course this isn't your fault. You couldn't have known this would happen," Jess said, attempting to reassure him.

"I guess you're right." He gave her a forced smile. "But I bet this won't be on your list of favorite Christmases." 

"Are you kidding?" Jess said, a smile tugging on her lips. "I saw my dad for the first time in eight years, I've got my two best friends by my side; I mean these chains are pretty uncomfortable but otherwise I'm having a pretty good Christmas."