Chapter Two: The King of Okay

"Okay, so basically, you're from another dimension, and you somehow crossed, like, every other relevant reality and ended up here," Jess said, sipping her not-so-hot tea.

"Basically. It's just very spacey -"

"Wacey," Jess finished. "Wow, you actually say that."

"How'd you know I said that?" the Doctor asked, perplexed.

"That television show? I guess that means I know almost everything about you. Wow, sorry. That sounds extremely stalker-ish." She smiled. "But, didn't you, like, seal the walls of the dimensions permanently in season - I mean, when you sent Rose away with the other Doctor that grew out of your hand?"

"Well - this is going to take some time to get used to," he said with a huff and a sad look in his eyes, "but yes. Or at least that's what I thought. I guess I only sealed off that one dimension. Or maybe not all of reality was in danger, and I sealed off the ones that were."

"So, does that mean that every television show is just another dimension? Like, Cas and Dean are actual people who are secretly madly in love, but in another dimension? And Sherlock is actually not dead? And you have aliens and foreign planets and the not-so-lost - oh ..."

"What? What's wrong?" he asked, setting down his mug.

"How old are you? Well, I'm guessing you're not as old as I know you to be, judging by your hair," she said, pointing to his head. He puffed his cheeks, letting the air out in one quick huff as to melodramatically disagree with her attitude.

"Nine-hundred and nine. Why?"

"I know your future. Not to sound like River Song, but I've seen things - terrible, and wonderful things - that happen so far away in the future, but as close as tomorrow. I've seen your darkest days, and most of your secrets. And I can't tell you anything. Doesn't that bother you?"

"Well, I guess I just won't think about it." He tried to smile, but instead, took a sip of his tea.

"Where's the TARDIS?" Jess asked, looking out the window. There was no sign of the beautiful blue box she'd fallen in love with.

"Out in the field. She's gone dim, but she's not dead, because I've been talking Russian for the past five minutes and you haven't noticed."

"Well, let's go then!" Jess said, grabbing her coat and running outside.

About a hundred feet beyond the stretch of woods cluttered in her backyard, Jess could see the blue police box standing tall and proud next to the old oak tree she used to play on as a child. On the days that were sunny, she'd go and read a book under its shade, or glance at the carvings she'd etched into its trunk. "Doctor", it said, in big bold letters, on every square inch of it.

Doctor, Doctor,

who do I call

when demons are running

and angels all fall.

Doctor, Doctor,

who will you be?

Wandering with sorrow,

flying with glee?

Doctor, Doctor,

hurry up, quick

come fast or you'll miss 'em

oh what a great trick.

Doctor, Doctor,

how do I know 

that you'll come to save me

even after the show?

Doctor, Doctor,

I think it's too late

the demons are winning

but I guess this is fate.

Doctor, Doctor,

who do I call

when you're somewhere else

and there's nothing at all?

Doctor, Doctor,

what'll it be?

I'm tired of waiting

so come and save me.

"I never would have thought I'd ever see it in person," she murmured, astonished. The Doctor unlocked her doors, sighing. Jess scurried in, marveling the beauty that was the main control room.

"You weren't kidding when you said it was dark." The entire room was difficult to see, so the Doctor handed her a milky globe-like thing. He gave a knowing nod, and Jess threw it in the air, where it floated on the ceiling and illuminated the vast space.

"Gravity Globe. Always wanted to use one of those," Jess muttered, excitement visible in her tone.

"She's dying. There's something wrong - terribly wrong - with this dimension. Even the smell ..." the Doctor said, stroking the console. "Nothing feels right."

"Hey, Doctor," Jess said, picking up a cardigan. "Is this Amy's?"

"Uh, yes." Jess let out a squeal.

"They're actually real! Okay, Jessica. Calm down, you can do this," Jess muttered, with a strange look from the Doctor. "What. You're not the only person who's allowed to talk to themselves."

Jess's face suddenly dropped.

"What's wrong?" the Doctor asked, putting his arm around her shoulder.

"It's a lot to take in. I mean, what happened to Amy and Rory ... and poor Brian! Nine-hundred and nine, must've just dropped them off at their honeymoon. Oh, you haven't even met your Impossible Girl yet! Doctor, you're so young, you have no idea. But look at you! The madman - sad man - with a blue box, finally falls out of the sky - yet again - after years of everyone waiting. You tend to do that to people, don't you? Make them wait." She sighed, like she was trying to remember something from her childhood, locked away in an unforgivable chest.

"I guess I do," he said, looking at her with those big, sad, old eyes of his. "Wait, did you say something happened to Amy and Rory?"

"It's - it's nothing. I swear. It won't happen for a very long time. Trust me, you'll be okay. You're the king of okay." She lightly elbowed him in the ribs and gave him her warmest smile, in which he returned.

"So, what's wrong with her? Besides the fact that she's dying?" Jess asked, leaning against a tall column. She started to fiddle her thumbs nervously.

"I don't know. I've never seen a TARDIS do this before. It's weird; it's like there's no time."

"Can't you find a rift or something? I mean, if you got here, there's gotta be a way out. Right?" 

"Not necessarily, no," the Doctor said, leaving with her, a weary expression carving his features. "But hopefully."