Chapter Fifteen: A Christmas Curiosity

As usual, Jess woke up in the TARDIS with a nagging feeling in the pit of her stomach that urged her to be adventurous. As usual, she told it to shut up. But, as it was Christmas, she felt as if she might just have an adventure anyway.

In her customary morning grogginess, Jess trudged around her room and the bathroom interchangeably, sighing at the frizzy mess she called her hair, mentally complaining about how bad the wifi was (if there even was any), and contemplating about whether she should go back home for Christmas. She decided she would, not just because her mom wanted her back, but because she missed the feeling of her real room in her real house, not the copy she had been living in for the past few days. And it was just a copy, even if that copy did happen to be in the TARDIS.

She made her way out of the TARDIS in her purple plaid pants and her oversized Sherlock tee, following tradition, as she never actually got dressed on Christmas day. She did, however, forget to put socks on, so the bitter grass biting her toes only made her walk faster towards the house.

She carefully opened the sliding glass door as to not startle anybody. She was startled, however, when a pair of warm, welcoming arms engulfed her torso in a hug.

"Jessica Rhiannon Bennett," Melissa sighed, grasping her daughter even tighter. "Don't you ever, ever, do that again."

"What, be stubborn?" Jess joked, letting go.

"No, be stupid." They both shared an apologetic smile, and then Jess felt the impossibly large force that was Elaine slam into her, making them both fall onto the hard ground.

"Merry Christmas, goof," Elaine said, her golden hair falling around her face.

"You know, that kind of hurt," Jess said, poking her side, in a result of the blonde rolling over in a fit of giggles.

"Ugh," she groaned sarcastically, "I hate you."

"And I love you." There was a second of silence before the two best friends howled in laughter.

"Girls!" Melissa called from the room next door. "Should we open presents now or –"

"Now," the two girls interjected simultaneously.

They raced each other to the lounge, enjoying the chance of immaturity. It wasn't often that Jess allowed herself to act like a five year old; Elaine usually behaved immaturely enough for the both of them. But, as it was Christmas, and things with her mother seemed resolved, Jess decided that she should have some fun while it was an option.

The three of them sat on the faded couch, handing out eachother's presents. Jess took a deep breath, letting the aroma of rising cookies and fake pine and the bitter coolness of the weather and the vanilla scent that lingered on the furniture and just Christmas fill her up, calming her jittery nerves. She didn't even know what she was so worked up over, although there was something unusual in the air that made her feel uneasy.

"Hey," she said, opening her eyes - not even realizing that they were closed. "Where's the Doctor?"

But she didn't have to ask, because just as she opened her mouth, the Time Lord stumbled down the stairs with a giant smile, his bowtie crooked and his hair disheveled.

"Merry Christmas!" he said a bit too loud. His foot slipped on the last step, resulting in an overly-dramatic tumble. He didn't get up, as Jess thought he would. But instead, he stared hungrily at his hands, as if they had turned a different color, or sprouted miniature wings.

She got up, walking towards him as cautiously as she could. "Doctor," she said, her voice gentle and steady. "What's going on?"

He took a moment to reply. "Well, I don't think I'm sure - blimey, look at your face!" Jess was taken aback as he scrambled to get himself up, and rushed over to her, stroking her face awkwardly.