Prologue

Soulmates.

Isn't it crazy how you can have a soulmate? Isn't it even crazier how you "find" them?

Oh, you don't know how you find them, do you?

Well, it's a complicated and messy process. When you're born, you get three hearts on your wrist. They're black. They represent the three possible soulmates someone could have (three people you fall in love with, but only one is meant to be forever). Once you're in love with someone, one of the hearts turn red. It stays like that until you lose them (whether heartbreak, death, etc.). Then, it disappears, leaving you with your remaining hearts. If you have none remaining, it means you lost your soulmate forever too, and won't ever love anyone again.

Now, this love can be romantic, sexual, etc., depending on a person's sexuality. Some people are even born with zero hearts, or half-faded ones.

For Nico, when he was born, he had the most usual three black hearts. But by the time he's 18, he's lost two of them.

One person he loved--who even loved him back, making him wonder if he was his soulmate--was in an accident, and passed.

The other person was just an affair.

Now he has on heart left, not knowing if it's his soulmate, when he'll meet them, how, who they are... nothing. And after all his heartbreak, he sometimes wishes it would disappear already--though, that would mean his soulmate died, or something very tragically similar.

Soulmates.