Ch. 17: Talk (Pt. 2)

For the first time, I looked into Will's eyes and noticed how blue they were. They were a bright, icy blue, a color I rarely saw worn on someone's face without color-lens contacts. His hair fell nice too... just like the waves at the beach we met, large curls and shiny. His skin was tanned, and it made me wonder if he went to the beach every weekend with Hazel or if he was just an easy tanner.

I swallowed, feeling lost in the pools of his face. This was a bad idea. This was an awful idea.

Will crinkled his eyebrows, "Are you okay?"

I look away. I was embarrassed, admittedly. "Yes, I'm... No, I'm not okay."

At this point, I wished people would stop asking me that. What did they want me to do, lie?

Will nodded, "Okay. Anything I can do?"

I took a deep breath, my mouth feeling more dry than usual.

"I just..." I began, unsure of what to really say. "I'm really... sad. And I'm scared. And I know it'll get in the way of us, but... I want to try."

"Try what?" he asked, not catching on.

Honestly, that was a good question. I shrugged, "Being friends, I guess."

Will perked up, smiling brightly. He fixed his posture and nodded, "I'd love to be your friend!"

I nodded, "Okay... cool."

Will nodded, leaning back on my mattress. I had navy blue sheets on it right now. I glanced back at him, and suddenly I couldn't recall the day before when I'd spent all day in those sheets. I just saw Will, and whatever I hoped our friendship would become.