SeVEnTeeN

FIVE days and FOREVER

Copyright 2017/2018

-Anya Amarachi Jacinth

Day Three

Day 3

------

When I entered back into the hall, I saw Luke and someone talking.

He spotted me and didn't remove his stare.

The person still spoke as I walked over.

I reached and waited for his friend to finish speaking.

When the friend noticed Luke wasn't paying attention, he turned around and saw me standing there.

"Oh, hey," He greeted then he apologized, "I'm sorry. Let me leave you guys alone. I'm Jeremiah."

"Bianca," I simply said.

He stood up as he let me have the seat. "Nice meeting you, Bianca." Then he turned to Luke, "She's your date, yeah?"

Luke was silent before finally shaking his head with a sigh.

"Oh," the boy said then looked at me again.

He raised his eyebrows, sensing the tension then he said, "Let me leave you two to be." Then he left.

We didn't say anything so I decided to break the silence.

"I'm sorry," I apologized with a low voice.

He stared at me then looked at his fingers on the table.

"I could have been better off playing FIFA in my basement, you know?" Luke finally said. "I was just doing Sophia a favour because she's my friend."

I pursed my lips and nodded. "I know and I'm sorry."

He sighed and looked at the people around.

I sighed as well, finding it hard to amend things. "Do you... still want to dance?" I forced an innocent smile.

He looked at me. "You want to dance with me now that your lover boy didn't want to?"

I rolled my eyes. "He's not my lover boy."

"Your ex?" He questioned further.

"He's just a friend." I smiled at Luke and I stretched my hand for him to get up.

He took my hand and got up as we started swaying to the music.

"Well, I didn't see just-a-friend there. What I saw was jealous-ex-boyfriend-who-hasn't-gotten-over-you."

"You think?" I questioned as my face turned red.

"Think what?"

"That he hasn't gotten over me?" I said.

"Well, that's what anyone would see." He shrugged. "He still loves you and I think you shouldn't let him go like that."

I was silent as I thought upon his words.

Does Dennis truly love me?

I couldn't even remember what I heard back at his house. Everything felt foreign and unbelievable as I danced.

"Why did you guys break up, anyway?" Luke finally asked.

I snapped out of my short daydream and answered him. "Oh, we weren't exactly dating."

"I don't think anyone would have believed that."

"Only if they didn't know about his previous relationship with Vi." I smiled as I pointed out.

"Vi?" His face squeezed. "He cheated on you with Vi?"

"No, no," I laughed. "You know her?"

"Yeah, we were lab partners in freshman year. We were pretty close." He said. "I started liking her and it was obvious she liked me too but as the year passed by, she started paying more attention to her reputation and what people thought about her and the people she hung out with. She has serious insecurity problems and I wouldn't blame her. She usually got insulted by other people that she was a loser and all and it got to her."

"Oh," I said. "That must have been really hard for her."

"It's even harder now that she's never satisfied with how far she's gone. People still refer to her as a want-to-be and try-hard. But the bitchiness has gotten in her head."

"What about you?" I asked. "How did you hold up?"

"Who, me?" He smiled. "I can't keep loving up on her when clearly, she had no regard for me. She'd walk pass me on the hall and act like we never used to go to each other's houses. I just had to move on and forget about her."

"Sad crush story, eh?" I smiled at him.

"Don't we all have one?" His smile widened as he referred to my feelings for Dennis.

I forced a smile then said, "Thanks."

"For?" He raised one of his eyebrows up.

"For agreeing to come to prom with me," I shrugged. "For some reason, I feel better now."

He didn't say anything as we swayed then after some time, he said. "Do you want me to drop you home?"

"I'm fine," I said.

"No, I'm asking because there is a football match this evening and I forgot to pre-record it."

"Oh," My eyes widened as we stopped dancing. "Umm, sure. You can go watch your football match. I'll be fine."

He looked at me for some time then said, "You look like shit."

I shrugged, "I don't think someone is meant to look hot while going through a heartbreak."

He chuckled. "I was kidding about the match but let me drop you at home. You need some rest."

I looked at him then nodded.