"I'm sorry, Your Highness. I am..." he hesitated for a split second, "the leader of an organization called the Magia. In the past, we've performed acts of... equality to better the lives of the people. We've remained in the shadows, but now we believe you to be a better ruler, and wish to be allies for the good of all." A hasty patchwork of almost-truths. He had no idea how much I knew. At one point, I would have done anything for an alliance between the Magia and the crown. But not now.

"Do you doubt my intelligence? Do you see that?" I pointed a fingernail at the glass case behind me which casted the room in a golden glow. He nodded, and so I continued. "That Orb makes me the most powerful person in all of history. Do you understand that?"

"The most powerful? There have been other kings. Royals have reigned year in and year out. And yet they fall as easily as saplings in a windstorm, and are forgotten just as easily," he said in quieted defiance. He sounded almost sorrowful.

"Good thing that I am not a king," I said with a flourish of my hand.

"There have been queens," he said again.

"Trust me. There have been none like me. For the first time, someone who knows how to use magic has control of it. It's going to be delicious. You watch. Now, what is your name?"

"They call me Blade."

"And your real name? What does your family call you?"

He paused. "My family is dead."

"Ah. Mine, too. Because of you and your friends. You see, I know a lot more about the Magia than you think." He looked scared to death as I stood up on the steps, my eyes full of nothing but hatred. "If you think I have no spies of my own, you are either foolish or too stubborn and blind in your own sense of self-purpose. I know who you are and I know what you do."

He gulped. "I—" He gave up. He was at a loss for words.

"I would have allied with you, once upon a time. I always knew more than the rest of my family did. My father was ignorant of how deep the infestation of the Magia went. He didn't understand the extent of which you all had defiled this kingdom. The Magia controls people, uses them, and manipulates them into doing things, terrible things with consequences far past what they can see in their own small, blinded minds. Everyone is so hypnotized by the fictitious role of hero they see themselves as that they neglect the truth." My words were stinging, sharp needles flying from my mouth.

"You're wrong," he whispered.

"Excuse me?" I shot him a death glare but he refused to meet my eyes.

"They just want peace now. They are good. They're doing what's right."

"Tell that to my dead family. They killed my brother, they killed my father, and they tried to kill me. They took everything away from me! I should rip that stupid mask off your face so that I hear no more of your blasphemous lies. I should have your head!"

He knelt before me with his hand gripping his knee. "Please, have mercy on me, my Queen."

My voice grew hard and biting. "And why should I? Give me one good reason. You said it yourself. You have no family. You came in here, and said nothing but lies. You lied straight to my face. You're not even a leader. No one would ever listen to you anyways. But you took part in killing my family. You've made it so I'm all alone."

"You're not all alone," he spit out immediately. "I mean... there's so many people here. And I don't really have a good reason. Not one that you would listen to. But I don't want to die. There is someone that I live for, though... everyone has something they live for, or what would be the point? And I never got to say my goodbye to her. I blew it. I know that you don't care and all...but you know what it's like, being left over. Left behind without a last word. And you know what it's like, not getting to say good-bye."

This girl. The one he rebuffed me for last night. Or...maybe it was me? Maybe he liked Scrap. Feelings could have aroused after I kissed him. No. There was another girl before there was me. He must have really loved her. It was hard to tell with his mask on, but I was almost sure he was tearing up.

I walked down the steps towards him. My stilettos clacked before I leaned down and clasped his chin in between my pointer finger and my thumb. I cocked my head. "Hm...I think I'll let you leave. Your beloved gets some luck today. Make sure to skitter back and inform the Capo that I know quite a lot about everything you do. So much that I could take you all down, whenever I feel like it. Tell him I'm coming." I let him go. "Now leave."

He stood up quickly, bowing again. "Thank you for your...consideration," he said slowly. His gaze locked on mine for a second that lasted a million years before he turned and stepped towards the door.

He was almost out the door when I said in a bored tone, "Blade—May the Knight of Gold vanquish your dark and your cold. I hope the gods wish the best upon you." I was unsure whether I was mocking him or wishing him genuine luck. Our relationship had always been complicated. I only saw a glimpse of his face before the tall, wooden door was shut in between us.

***

"Stars, hide your fires;Let not light see my black and deep desires," I murmured this quote to myself before I walked up the steps to the raised platform in the middle of the city square. People were silent and sober around me. I straightened the skirts of my high necked black dress before I spoke. Presentation was key. "People of Alacean, I have called you today to share grave news. My father, the former King Ector, is dead. And so is my brother, Prince Tristain. Along with many others."

There were several gasps in the crowd as I continued, "And as of now, I am the new Queen Guinevere."

"Long may she reign," was whispered by all in the crowd, as per tradition. I smiled pleasantly.

I sighed before continuing. "This was a calculated move by some among our own. Stay diligent. Stay cautious."

"My father's memory lives on. Our former leader will not be forgotten. To cherish my father's memory, I will go through with the vision he saw of his daughter. I will marry Sir Ralphus. It'll be the wedding of the century, commemorating Tristain as well." I let my face do the talking as I put a strong but sad expression on it. I wiped away a tear that didn't exist.

"I will also be creating care centers for any of you in need of food. As your new queen, I am here to help you in any way I can. I will be a loyal and hardworking queen to every faithful subject. More help will be given at a later time. Thank you."

And with that, I walked off of the stage. Penelope stayed to my right hand side. "Are you sure you know what you're getting into, my Queen?"

I waved her away with my hand. "Yes. They want to see me as beautiful, kind, and weak. What they need is distraction while I fix this hole of a country. What better way than a wedding? The show must go on."

***

If you liked the chapter or book, all votes are appreciated. :)

~ K