Ch. 11

English was quiet today. Mr. Piper had us work on our outline and introduction for our Great Gatsby paper. After sitting in silence for 30 minutes, it was interrupted when the door creaked open. Lucas walks in with his head down. I see the profile of his left side, he looks defeated. He sets a late slip on Mr. Piper's desk then turns to walk down the aisle to his seat. 

His head lifts for a moment and we make eye contact. He quickly shifts his eyes to the floor. My stomach turns and twists. My heart breaks. 

There on Lucas's soft face was a black and deep purple bruise covering his right eye. His eye lid so swollen that I know it is causing agonizing pain to open it. What happened? Who would do this to him? Is he okay? 

The next 30 minutes feels like hours. I just want to know if he is alright. As soon as the bell rings I grab my stuff and make my way over towards Lucas. I hear comments and whispers from others as they leave. 

"Lucas got into another fight."

"Wonder what the other guy looks like"

"He looks like shit"

I finally get to Lucas. He looks at me, then moves his eyes to his feet. 

"Hey, are you okay?" I ask softly while my fingertips gently and slowly glide over the mark on his face.

"I'm good, Emily." He says pushing my hand away.

"I'm sorry" I say not realizing I had been touching him. 

"Hey, I'll see you in history, okay?" he slings his backpack onto his shoulder and heads to the door. Leaving me there stunned for a moment. 

I get into French and take my seat. 

"Bitch, you look like you saw a ghost or something" Joey's looking at me, but my brain isn't registering it. 

"Umm" Joey's fingers appear in front of my eyes, snapping. "Hey hoe, I'm talking to you? You're face looks weird."

I snap out of my thought. "Um thanks Joey" I say with irritation and sarcasm present. 

"Girl, you know that is not what I mean."

"What's up?" I ask, slightly shaking my head and shaking the memory of Lucas's pained look and bruised eye. 

"Um, well I was gonna ask you about Brad and if you made a decision since your mom dropped you off today. I didn't get to ask earlier." Joey's still staring at me. "But now, I wanna know what the hell is going on in the pretty little head of yours."

"Did you see Lucas today?" I whisper

"Lucas Hunter?"

"Yeah."

"Yeah, I saw him on my way here. Why?" Joey is talking like nothing looked different.

"Did you not see his eye?" 

"Oh that, Yeah I saw it. Kinda hard to miss it."

"Why is no one freaking out that he has a huge swollen black eye." I'm feeling uneasy that no one else is worried. 

"Oh Em, he always has a new bruise, bump, scar, or broken bone." He says this like it's a fact, like it's completely normal. "Lucas is always in a new fight. He shows up at least once a month with some damage on him somewhere."

"He doesn't seem the type who fights." I stare at my fingers playing with the paper in front of me. 

"How well do you know him?" Joey asks, now wanting gossip.

"Um, not very well I guess. We have hung out a few times and have a few classes together as well.... Have you ever seen him fight?"

"No, I haven't, but everyone is always talking about it. Most of the stories sound second hand though and I've never seen anyone here look as mangled like he does. So I'm guessing he is fighting with others from a different school or something." He shrugs his shoulders and then starts to work on the worksheet Mrs. June had ready for us at our desks. 

I try to focus on the paper in front me. I can't concentrate on it. I still can't get those memories out of my head. I glance at the clock. The bell is going to ring in 2 minutes. Have a really been worried about Lucas's face for a whole hour. No one seems to think it's a big deal and he even said he was fine. So maybe I'm worried over nothing. It's probably just because I'm not used to seeing people with bruised faces. 

The bell rings and we gather our things and head towards Trig. 

"So, what are you gonna say to Brad?" Joey says as he links his arm through mine. 

Crap. I had completely forgot about Brad all morning. I know I had decided to say yes, but I'm still not sure I want to go on a date with him. What if it's awkward? What if we don't get along? What if he tries to kiss me? What if I'm bad? What if he's bad? What if we hit heads?

"Hey! I asked you a question." Joey says using the perfect amount of attitude to quit my thoughts from spiraling any further. 

"Oh um. Yes... I'm going to say yes... Yes... That's right... I'm gonna tell him yes." I keep repeating it. I think I'm trying to convince myself after awhile.

"One more time, I might believe you." He giggles.

We make it to Trig right as the bell rings. I can see Brad shifting constantly in his seat and looking at me every few minutes. I keep my head down and work on the problems on the board. As soon as the bell rings Joey says bye and runs for the door, leaving me to face my decision. 

"Hi Emily" Brad smiles.

"Hey Brad" I keep my head down, still trying to gather the last of my belongings. 

"So, um did you have an answer?" he says awkwardly.

"Yes." I reply

"Yes you have an answer or yes you want to go out with me?" He questions.

"Yes" I say with a little smirk on my face.

"Um what?" He looks so cute when he is confused.

I giggle. "Yes, to both." there I said it. I'm actually kind of proud of myself. 

"Okay. Awesome. I'll get it all planned and let you know tomorrow." We exchanged numbers then head off in opposite directions. 

Once in the cafeteria, I pull out my Trig book and start working on the homework for tonight. I hear a chair move next to me and I look up and meet dark blue eyes filled with torment.

"Hey." a familiar voice says, but the voice is strained with pain and anguish. 

"Lucas. Hey." He takes a seat but keeps his head on the table. "How are you doing?"

"I'm fine. Really... actually I wanted to ask you a question."

"Okay. What's up?"

"Are you um... going out with Brad this weekend?" I'm not sure why he's asking me this.

"Yeah. I just confirmed with him earlier. Why?"

"Oh, um nothing. Just making small talk I guess." He says, still unable to look at me. "Sorry Em, it's none of my business. Uh, I gotta go. I'll catch up with you later... okay?"