TwO

FIVE days and FOREVER

Copyright 2017/2018

-Anya Amarachi Jacinth

Day 'Oh'

Day 0

-----

I looked at the envelope again. The way it was opened was tempting – but I respected people's confidences.

Maybe he had read it already.

I wanted to open the envelope to know the content of the message in it so I would know whether to keep bothering myself or not but then again... I wouldn't like anyone reading anything of mine.

I arranged my books – mostly novels – into my bag and closed it.

I walked out of the school and waited at the bus stop for the next bus to arrive.

A bus arrived and people started entering into it. I was about entering but just ahead of me – across the road – I saw Dennis entering another bus.

Jackpot.

I instinctively stepped out of the bus and started to cross to the other side of the road. A car came from nowhere and I stepped back immediately. My heart literally came out of my chest.

I let out a shaky breath and decided to look both at my left and right to make sure the road was safe before crossing to the other side.

I entered the bus and started to scan the faces for Dennis'. I needed to be fast so I'll catch my bus as well.

I searched seat by seat but it wasn't so easy because uncivilized people kept pushing me and stepping on my feet.

The door of the bus shut and as if on cue, it started moving.

The movement made those who were still standing jerk in a way that they almost fell.

I moved and gratefully was supported by someone's back that I hit.

But the person wasn't too happy with the contact as he said some colourful words.

"Sorry," I mumbled before the person turned to me with an annoyed expression and I realized it was Dennis.

A flood of relief rushed through me but I didn't know whether to be happy because, for one, I was on the wrong bus.

"I'm sorry," I said again.

He sighed and waved me off as he turned back – like he had bigger problems to deal with.

Give him his envelope, Bianca, and get the hell out of the bus.

I tapped him gently on his shoulder and he turned to me with a perplexed expression.

He didn't want to be disturbed – Same here, brother. Neither do I.

"I know you're probably not in the best of moods but here," I handed him his envelope. His expression immediately changed as he looked at the paper that had his name emblazoned on it. "You dropped it."

He slowly collected the envelope from me but with his eyes still focused on mine like he wanted to decipher something. "Do I know you from somewhere?" He finally asked.

I stepped back and rushed my words. "We attend the same school. I got to go now. This isn't my bus," and I started walking away, passing through the squashed people by chance to reach where the driver sat. When I reached in front, I realized that the driver's seat had a different section entirely which couldn't be seen by the passengers. So there was no way I could make a stop.

I felt a hand on my shoulder and I turned to see Dennis.

He dropped his hands immediately. "I wanted to tell you before you ran off. The bus only makes one stop and that's the next bus stop so you're stuck in here till we arrive."

My eyes opened wide in terror and my mouth agape.

"Where's the next bus stop?" I was forced to ask.

I just had to ask.

He shrugged like he didn't really care then looked away from me.

I wanted to push it on how he didn't know the next bus stop but was on the bus but I already knew he was fed up – so I dropped it.

I decided to try and ask one of the nice looking passengers – which were very few to spot.

"Umm... Do you know where this bus is going to?"

I got ignored by most.

But at the end, I was replied by a really nice lady that I didn't even ask.

I turned to her with a grateful, genuine smile and said a thank-you but inside I was freaking out – majorly because I have never heard that place before.

I think Dennis sensed that – his eyes never left me as he waited for me to finally react.

I looked at him then said. "You're not going to do anything about this?"

He raised an eyebrow at me then sighed without uttering a word.

"Great!" I said.