Chapter Ten

Patrick wakes up the next morning to a knocking sound. He moans and sits up. The knocking comes again. It is permeating through his window. He turns the lights on and steps over to the window to find out what the sound is. He culls his sunglasses from the dresser and slips them on before opening the blinds. Taped to the window is a twice folded piece of paper with "Patrick Murfree" written on it.

        What the hell? Who could this be? How do they know my name?

        Patrick opens the window and plucks the paper from the window. He carefully unfolds it, almost afraid to read what it has to say. When he opens the first fold, "Do not show to anyone" is written in blue ink by someone with almost calligraphic handwriting. His heart raises to his throat. He swallows it down before opening the last fold and reading the same handwriting.

        Patrick,

        Come with us today and we won't hurt Millie.

        We're watching.

        Patrick looks up from the note, with an icicle in his heart, to look out the still open window. He looks up and down the street as much as he can with it being a side window with  building ten feet away. When he sees nothing, he pulls the window closed and shuts the blinds.

        The door starts to open and Patrick rushes to the dresser to put his glasses down and hide the note under some of the stuff on top of it.

        "You okay Patrick?" Andy asks from the door. He has an eyebrow raised and eyes the dresser quickly.

        "Yeah, why?" Patrick responds stiffly.

        "Well," Andy drags out. "Your alarm has been going off for a little while now." Andy looks over at his phone resting on the nightstand.

        Your Body is a Weapon by The Wombats fills Patrick's ears. He smiles sheepishly as he walks over to his phone and turns the alarm off. "I, um," Patrick tries to think of an explanation. "I like the song ... so I decided to let it play while I got dressed."

        "Well, could you just play it on the music app? The buzzing is getting a little annoying." Andy asks as he starts to close the door.

        Patrick nods his head and mumbles "Sure."

                                                (¯'·.¸¸.-> °º  º° <-.¸¸.·´¯)

Millie looks at Patrick with concerned filled eyes as he drinks his morning cup of blood. She went out to hunt last night and filled a couple jugs for him. It is surprising that she could just walk past so many people with a grocery bag filled with blood. Now The Council must know that Patrick doesn't drink blood straight from the body, let alone know how to hunt. But if they can come up with a plan, that won't matter.

        Millie had phoned Robert ten minutes ago. She knows that he will call back when he sees the missed call, and she would normally wait for him to call back. He should call in the next few minutes at the latest, but Millie is not in a patient mood today. She lifts her phone and calls again. This time it goes straight to voice mail. That's weird.