OnE

FIVE days and FOREVER

Copyright 2017/2018

-Anya Amarachi Jacinth

Day 'Oh'

Day 0

-----

❝Just end it! ❞ Mr Drew said obviously annoyed of the actors.

They weren't even showing any signs of improvement.

The acting had no action.

They seemed to lack enthusiasm in every aspect.

Everything about what they did was emotionless. It lacked passion. It lacked reality.

I held my breath as I watched Mr Drew put his full focus on me.

Me.

Everything came back to me.

It was my script.

"Ms Nickerson –" He started.

"I can fix this," I said almost immediately because I was aware of what he wanted to say.

Everything he said was routine.

Your play is pathetic.

Where is the action?

They all look like zombies.

Well, it was not my fault that I had to write a script for the play, direct the play and be the head of the drama club all at the same time.

Mr Drew's face squeezed in disgust. "You say that every single day we come here to rehearse but nothing has seemed to changed." He stated in a dry tone. "The play is to be presented by the end of next week. Is this what you want to show the principal and parents?"

I kept silent as I knew that my play was actually lacking in many aspects.

"Many prestigious people would be there and Representatives from top Universities. Our school has never failed them once."

I could come up with a different plot but there wasn't any time left.

"5 days, Nickerson. 5 days. If I don't see any improvement within five days, I'm taking your act off."

The reality of what he said dawned on me but I had nothing to say.

My play being presented meant a lot to me and I couldn't risk it.

The whole drama club was banking on me – I couldn't let them down.

Mr Drew walked out of the auditorium and I turned to the others – the actors.

They had been watching my expression but looked away immediately I turned.

I sighed deeply then decided to step out to think about my play properly.

Immediately I stepped out of the auditorium, the sight of guys running and making noise gained my attention.

They were members of a school team.

They all cheered someone as they lifted him above shoulder length. He held a basketball in his hand.

They obviously won a match.

The coach soon stopped their rascal act as he stood in front of the celebrating boys.

Slowly, they dropped the boy they praised as they all fell silent.

The coach stood still as he watched his boys then finally asked for his request.

"Can I have a word with Dennis?"