Chapter 7

"Here, Casey. Sit down. I'm going to get a shower, alright?" She nods as I remove my sweaty shirt and go to take a shower. I feel a sense of Deja Vu. When I finished that, we were going to find a bar again. Like I've said before, it's all routine. I overheard Casey on the phone when I was getting dressed.  

            "Sam?" I know who that girl is. I laughed to myself. "What do you mean?" Her voice suddenly sounded worried and alert. "Yeah, I did...It's not true is it?" there was another long pause, and when Casey spoke again her voice was cracking. What was Sam telling her? "What...did he recognize you?"

            I opened the door and walked in, she looked at me for a brief second and when she saw my face was concerned, she realized I was eavesdropping. As I sat down next to her, I could tell she didn't care because she grabbed my hand.

            Wait, Casey grabbed my hand. Does she really trust me that much?

            "What exactly...did he ask?" I was trying to put the pieces of the puzzle together, and from what I've heard, this conversation is about Dave. Who else would it be? He is the only person who terrifies her to the point of not being able to trust anybody. I keep the rising anger deep down inside as I continue to listen to the conversation. She squeezes my hand as she listens to Sam.

            "You didn't tell him anything, did you?...No, I don't... I don't want him anywhere near me anymore...What did he say to that?...Are you positive?... He better...Alright Sam I gotta go, text me if anything happens...please... bye." She hangs up the phone and she just stares off into space.

            "What happened?" I ask, already knowing the answer.

            "Sam saw him at the store in my town today. First time since he left."

            "Was he trying to find you?"

            "Yeah, yeah he was."

            "And?"

            "She said nothing about me. She didn't even tell him where I was staying. He doesn't know I've changed apartments, and that's the way I intend to keep it out."

            "I'm telling you, Casey. Give me a few minutes with him. I'll straighten him out." I say, trying my best to make light of this situation. I guess it kind of helps, because Casey laughs.

            "That's what you need. To end up in jail because of a girl." she sighs.

            "Not a girl..." Does she really not understand that she is special to me? "You." I add.

I can tell in her face that she is starting to relax. She knows that I would help her any possible way I can. She knows I will do my best to keep her safe, she just won't accept it or, maybe she did and I just can't see it yet.

            That doesn't change the fact that I'm letting her go tomorrow. I'm letting her leave this bus, and now that I know she is in danger of him again, I don't even want to. How am I supposed to let her walk straight into a danger zone, while I was supposed to just stand on the sidelines watching and not doing a thing about it?

    Sam made it clear, though, I am to return her to her house sometime tomorrow. She actually made it very clear that Casey was not to miss any of her classes this week. My guess for finals before their winter break starts.

    It's almost December, it wouldn't surprise me. College almost seems like a joke now, you get so much time off and you pay more than you should.