Chapter 12 - Promise

Start from the beginning

"Its so pretty!" She gushed, holding her hand out and admiring it. 

After a lot more camera flashes and congratulating, it was finally time to eat and they were left alone for a while, while everyone piled up their plates. Someone else was getting them food, so while they waited they chatted.

"How're you?" Khalid asked.

"Pretty good." Sabrina replied, still not quite meeting his eye. "This dress is so heavy, though."

Khalid laughed and observed her dress. It did look rather weighed down by various ornaments and sparkling stuff. 

"Well, it looks nice on you. And so do you. I mean you look nice, not that you look nice on you." He stuttered. Ugh, what in the world did I just.

Sabrina glanced up at him with a sly smile. "Thanks. You look nice on you too."

Khalid laughed, grateful that he had someone like Sabrina by his side. Someone who could take an awkward situation and make it less awkward. Their food arrived and they both, pushed it around on their plates, taking a few bites. Khalid was too happy and nervous to eat and from the way Sabrina' wasn't paying much attention to the plate in front of her, he guessed she was as well.

Emaan and Leila sat down next to her during the meal and the three girls talked and laughed together. Khalid tried not to listen in and demand that Sabrina talk to him instead of her friends, but kept his thoughts to himself.

"Hey, you've barely touched your food." Jamaal exclaimed, popping up out of nowhere.

"Well, what do you want me to do? Stroke it?" Khalid grumbled, still put off that Sabrina was not paying him much attention.

Apparently she was because she turned to him and and laughed at his remark. He basked in the sound of her glorious laugh. 

"Hey...uh." Jamaal whispered, his eyes fixed on something across the room. "Why is Hiba here?"

"What?!" Khalid asked, nearly spitting out the food in his mouth. 

Sabrina and her friends looked over, confused. Jamaal gave them an innocent smile and grabbed Khalid's arm. "Excuse us, ladies."

He pulled Khalid out of his seat and the two men plunged into the throng of hungry guests. People smiled as he walked by and he smiled back while trying not to mentally freak out at his ex-girlfriend showing up at his engagement party. 

"Where is she?" Khalid demanded. "Why is she here?" 

"I dont know! Was she invited?" Jamaal asked.

"Of course not!" Khalid cried. "Why would-"

He stopped upon seeing Hiba, clad in a short pink dress, looking very out of place with way too much skin showing. She was staring at him as he approached, his eyes flashing.

"What are you doing here?" He asked venomously. 

"What?" She said, innocently. "I'm not allowed to go to my friend's engagement party?"

"Friend?" He scoffed.

"If we cant be more, at least we can be friends!" She explained.

"Uh. No." He sated. "I don't want you here. I don't want you in my life."

"C'mon, baby. We were so close. Before we were dating we were best friends!" She said, leaning into him and grabbing his hands.

Khalid pulled away. "Are you out of your mind?" 

"Babe please-"

"What's going on-" Sabrina stopped as her eyes fell upon Hiba nearly clinging onto Khalid. Leila and Emaan stood behind her, glaring at Hiba.