Chapter 17 - Let Me Go

Chapter Seventeen - Let Me Go

Sabrina stared at Khalid. She opened her mouth to say something but her voice was lodged in her throat. Her head hurt, his words swirling around in her mind but she couldn't comprehend them. She blinked a few times and her eyes strayed beyond him, to the lights that were too bright and to the people who passed by with their muffled laughter. When she focused back on him, he was saying something.

"Its was an accident." He cried. "I didn't know it was him. It was an accident."

The words hit her slowly, because she still couldn't wrap her head around his first confession. She couldn't believe it. She didn't want to believe it.

"You said.." She began, her voice trembling. "You said I didn't know who it was. You said no one did."

He looked at her then, with his blue eyes that had seen too much. She noticed the hard set of his mouth, the curl of his eyelashes and the way he stared at her now as if she was breakable and he was about to break her. He took a breath and she braced herself because she felt as if she would indeed, break.

"Do you really know me?" He asked, sadly.

Sabrina felt the tears before they burned their way up her throat. Anger surged in her veins, fast and furious. She clenched her hands into fists, her nails digging into her palms.

"I would if you didn't keep things like this from me!" She hissed.

"How could I tell you something like this?" He asked, scowling. "'Oh, I want to marry you and by the way I killed my brother.'"

"Oh and how did you, by the way?" She asked, piercingly.

Khalid recoiled, looking away. He sighed and looked back to her, his face guarded. 

"I cant...I don't...just please don't make me." He whispered.

"Fine. I cant believe you would..." She trailed off because she still didn't want to believe it and saying it out loud was out of the question.

He looked at her then with so much guilt that it hurt her. She winced as she realized what she'd said and how he must feel about it. But it was quickly replaced by anger and confusion. How? She desperately wanted to know. But at the same time, a small part of her wanted to run away and leave him because she didn't think she could handle it.

She didn't want to say anything to him. She didn't want to look at his face because he'd been keeping it from her for so long and if it hadn't been for her stumbling across him and Osama then she probably would have never found out. And he probably would have never told her. That was what hurt her most. 

So she turned on her heel and walked away, betrayal burning in her heart. She scoffed and shook her head. She was so worried about Osama being a killer that she didn't even realize that she was about to get married to one. She grimaced as she got into her car and stared at the steering wheel for a while. 

She didn't know what to believe anymore.

* * *

"I never ever want to talk to him again." Sabrina declared as she walked up to her friends.

Emaan and Leila stared at her, their eyes wide. Sabrina pinched the bridge of her nose, and prayed she wouldn't run into Khalid now that it was lunch time. She was exhausted because she'd had a rough night, more than half of which had been spent staring at the ceiling and trying not to think of the various ways a person could murder someone. Leila squinted at her.