Chapter 12 - Promise

Start from the beginning

* * *

Khalid was sure his heart was going hammer its way out of his chest. He'd been to Arab engagements before and the couple getting engaged would walk in at the same time, hand in hand, but since Sabrina would never allow something like that, they'd all decided to do it the traditional Indian way which meant Khalid had to sit in the front and wait for her to show up. 

It was pure torture.

He shifted in his seat and stared at the entryway, located at the far end of the hall. People were still coming in, and he had to forcefully stop himself from craning his neck to see over their heads. He sat back and sighed, after what seemed like an eternity. To keep his mind off things, he scanned the hall, and noticed it was set up quite nice. He played with his cuff links, nodded and smiled whenever someone came up to congratulate him and wondered endlessly when Sabrina would arrive.

"Asalaamu'alaikum, bro!" Jamaal called out, walking over towards him. 

"Walaikum'asalaam!" Khalid replied, getting up and smacking Jamaal on the shoulder. "About time. I've been here forever." 

Jamaal laughed. "More like half an hour. You're just nervous about Sabrina, aren't you? Anxiously awaiting her arrival, hey?" 

"Well yeah." Khalid scoffed. "And besides the sooner she arrives, the sooner we can eat."

"Oh hey, uh. Have you seen Emaan?" Jamaal asked, trying to sound casual.

Khalid gave him a knowing look. "No, why?"

"Why?" Jamaal asked and looked away awkwardly. "Uh..I..just...had to. Uh. you know."

"No, I don't know. Do tell." Khalid said sweetly, batting his eyes.

"I hate you."

"Oh look there's Emaan!" Khalid said, glancing over his shoulder

"Where?!" Jamaal jumped, whipping around.

Khalid burst into laughter, clutching his stomach. Jamaal turned back to face him and glared at him, evilly. 

"I cant believe I fell for that." He grumbled.

They talked for a few more minutes, Jamaal trying extra hard to tease him about Sabrina. A few friends joined them, and they chatted for a little while. Khalid noticed that almost everyone was seated and a hushed whisper spread throughout the room. His mother came up and shooed away his friends and told him to sit down because Sabrina was about to arrive.

Khlaid's heart plummeted up his throat and he sat down on the comfy sofa where Sabrina would sit next to him. Near the entrance a few people were beginning to stand up and then she walked in. She was wearing a blue Indian dress which Khalid had no idea what it was called, but wow, it looked amazing. She looked amazing.

Khalid's mouth went dry as she walked up and glanced at him, behind long eyelashes. She was wearing make up, a first for her, he supposed because he'd never seen her with more than lip gloss on. She smiled, and he took a deep breath, making sure that enough oxygen was getting to his brain before he smiled back. She looked away, a small blush creeping up on her face and sat down next to him.

"Assalamu'alaikum." She greeted, shyly.

Khalid mumbled a reply and continued to stare at her face. A few cameras flashed, snapping pictures of them, and he turned, looking out into the hall. Everyone was laughing happily and talking and smiling. A few people were crowded around them, congratulating them and Sabrina and Khalid turned their attention away from each other to attend to them.

Khalid wasn't sure how much time had passed, but between a lot of picture taking and talking, everyone kind of backed off and his mother came up to him with the ring he'd picked out for Sabrina. It was a simple silver band with elegant designs and a tiny diamond. Since Sabrina would probably not want Khalid touching her, his mother put it on her finger and Sabrina smiled up at Khalid. He beamed as she put it on.