Chapter 20 -Delivery of Destiny

The hands of men corrupt their mother

Sol had disappeared, and Mistress Vega was tight-lipped about where he'd gone for the last week. She didn't seem to mind me asking questions anymore although she didn't answer many.

Benin brooded over his dinner that evening. "What is going on with you?" I asked. Sol's absence and Benin's moodiness had me mad. When he didn't answer I banged my fists on the table, causing the food to jump. "You will not ignore me Benin."

His eyes met mine; they were deep pools of pain. "What is it? Please tell me." I pleaded; my heart longed for our friendship and easy connection.

He relented. "It's you, Penny."

I waited in anticipation, wondering what his next words would be, but none came. He just stared at me as if drinking in his last cup of water. My stomach clenched. "What about me? What did I do?" I pressed my shaky hand into the table. "I did something when drugged didn't I?"

His eyes swept across the room and then settled back on me. "You kissed me," he said, his voice cracked. "No matter how hard I try, I can't get the taste of you out of my mind." My pulsed quickened. I'd never seen Benin like that. His eyes were hooded and passion rode his words.

I didn't remember kissing him. I remembered nothing after that morning. "I'm sorry," I said, touching his hand. "I don't remember." The moment proved awkward–his skin was hot underneath my fingers.

He stood–. "This is torture."

I held his hand tight. "You're torturing me by ignoring me." I walked with him as he tried to escape. "I miss you. I miss my friend." Standing in front of him I pleaded. "Can you forgive me for something I didn't know I did? Was the kiss that horrible?" I had imagined kissing Benin before I met Sol, but our connection was already so deep - the thought of being more intimate was scary.

His eyes pored over me. When my back touched the wall, I realized I had backed up. I tried to clear my throat to break the tension, but a whimper came out instead. My friend disappeared and in front of me stood a man. He hovered over me. "You've done nothing to forgive." His hand brushed my cheek. "I'm the one who should ask for forgiveness."

"For what?"

"For this."

Overwhelming alarm filled me when he dipped his head down to capture my lips. Heat flooded my body. The kiss started angry and then turned tender and deep. Our songs melded, filling in some of the torn areas of my heart. Our connection deepened, and I experienced his profound desire for me. I could almost see from his eyes and mine at the same time. I panicked and pulled away and then slapped him hard on the face.

He moved away, touching his face. "Did you slap Sol when he kissed you?" he asked. His eyes narrowed.

"Wh- how..."

"You told me after you kissed me." He ran a hand through his hair. "Don't worry, I won't stand in your way, but I wanted to kiss you at least once so you could make an educated decision."

"Benin," I said, recalling his affection toward me when she shared the kiss. My heart thudded in my ears; fear seeped into my heart taking root. I tried to think of something to say to let him down easy.

"I know you felt something, Penny. Here's proof," he gestured to the multicolored flowers growing from the dining room floor. The perfume of fresh flowers filled my nose. "Why are you afraid?" He held a hand out. "You'd pick an alien over me?"

"That's not fair." I balled my fist. "Who says I'm picking anyone?" I paused. A torrent of emotions filled me at once. "Besides, I must go back to my realm after we rescue the Earth Singers, so I won't see either of you again." I turned my back to him and folded my arms. Why did life have to be so complicated? I was losing the desire to want to rescue the other Earth Singers, although it was selfish, these people were the only family I had. Where would I be if I lost them too? I understood the need for balance, but why couldn't I return through the doors, at least to visit.