Chapter 2 - Entry to Paradise

Stars are lost without darkness

Eleven years had passed since the crossing, and life in the new realm found a steady rhythm. "Time for breakfast," chimed my alarm. I rolled over in bed.

"Pendra," an avatar face appeared on the screen on the wall. "It's time to wake up," the avatar chortled. It took awhile for me to get used to my new name. Daddy kept it similar to my old name to help me acclimate. I still thought of myself as Penny though.

I moaned, "Five more minutes, please."

"You told me not to let you sleep even one extra minute."

"Ugh," I replied throwing a pillow at the screen. "Since when do you listen to anything I say?"

"Since what you said makes sense. Now please remove yourself from the bed and get prepared for school and breakfast. I made a breakfast tailored to enhance your abilities to introduce and explain your idea at the science emporium today."

I threw back my purple blanket and jumped out of bed at the mention of the science emporium. I'd been waiting for weeks to present my proposal to annihilate the need for government run money exchangers.

The face on the screen smiled. I designed her as close to my mother as I could remember. I knew it was a close resemblance because of the way dad always looked startled when he saw her. She was a beautiful woman with her dark skin, hair, and eyes. Dad said I had her almond eyes and curly hair, although, he didn't speak of her much. The avatar interface stayed in mother mode and moved around the house as needed. It preferred to move around on the computer interfaces built into every room, but it stepped out occasionally.

Every house came built with a smart interface system. Poor and rich were alike in that aspect. Being homeless was against the law. Beauty Bars and The Sleepers Keep made sure everyone had income.

"Pendra, honey, are you awake?" Dad asked, tapping on the pristine white door panel.

"Yeah Dad, I'll be out in a minute." I hurried and dressed, securing my red and white uniform dress with a metallic belt. I swooped my hair up into a messy ponytail and slipped on my shoes.

"Don't forget your mobile interface," Tilly said before I flew out the door.

"Oh yeah," I replied, snatching the small screen from the charging dock in the alcove by the door.

"And your backpack," the avatar droned. It hung on the hook under the alcove.

"Thanks, Till," I said before skirting out the door.

"How would you function without me," Tilly remarked, blinking into the small screen in my hand. I rolled my eyes.

"Morning sweetheart," Dad greeted me planting a kiss on my forehead. "Your Tilly has outdone herself this morning." He gestured to the feast laid out on the table. I wrinkled my nose.

"Where's the bacon?" I could almost taste the succulent strips as I imagined crunching it between my teeth.

"Bacon is not good for boosting brain activities," Tilly answered.

Dad chuckled and took a sip from his coffee mug.

Daddy found my love of bacon odd since it didn't grow from the ground. But everything came from the earth and I wouldn't miss out on the delicious taste for someone else's thought about me being a vegetarian. It would be nice if bacon grew on trees though. I'd love to have the luxury to experiment, but Daddy thought it was a dangerous idea, although I had my secret spot with no observational devices.