Chapter 10 - Arrows Will

A tree's roots flourish in the secrets of the earth

    I woke with a start in a small room with intricate etchings of beautiful faces carved into the ebony and ivory walls. There were no windows visible. Memories of the car chase, as well as the bomb hitting Daddy and Shiah's car, came rushing back. "No," I said.

    I wanted nothing more than to break down in tears and cry, but numbness gripped my heart.

    "I'm sorry, Pendra," said a male voice as a hand reached out to touch mine. I swung around to see Sol sitting in a chair beside the bed.

My eyes narrowed. "What are you doing here?"

He appeared, sorry. "I wanted to make sure you were all right." His eyes searched for mine, but I turned my head away.

I wanted to snatch my hand away and pummel him with my fist. "I'm not all right. Now you know, you can leave." My hand refused to leave from beneath his.

"I will find out what happened to them," he said standing. "Benin is waiting for you outside. Would you like me to send him in?"

"I don't want company right now."

Sol folded his muscular arms. He wore a silver fitted shirt with a zipper at the neck.

"All right."

"Where are we?"

"Trend City, at the home of Mistress Vega."

"Is that my guardian?"

"Yes, and she looks forward to meeting you as soon as you're ready."

"Who brought me in here?"

"I did." He arched an eyebrow.

My eyes narrowed more. "Who changed my clothes?" I ran my hand over the smooth surface of the sky blue pajamas - feeling violated.

One corner of his mouth went up. "You sure have a lot of questions for someone who doesn't want company."

"Are you avoiding the question?"

"Yep." He winked.

"Ugh." Insufferable man.

"Food is waiting for you as well when you're ready."

I nodded waving him away. My stomach bubbled and I didn't know if I could pull up the energy to eat. I threw myself back onto the bed and covered my head with the blanket.

That was the pattern for the next three days. He'd come every day despite me telling him to leave and never come back. At least Benin listened when I said leave me alone.

"Okay, Pendra," Sol said on the fourth day. "This has gone far enough. You're starting to smell and you're ruining the nice new pajamas you're wearing." He hovered over me like a large gargoyle. "Or maybe I should wait until you're asleep and hall you into the shower myself? And afterward, I'll shove a plate of food down your throat?" He tapped his lip with his finger. "It sounds like it might be fun, for me at least." He grinned.

"You wouldn't."

"No?" He moved closer to where I lay with the covers up to my neck. "This is your last chance to get up. I don't think I'll even wait until you're sleeping."

"You... you... ugh." I threw the covers back not caring about my appearance; I flounced out of bed. "There," I said throwing my arms up. "I'm up, now you can leave."

He eyed me. "If you're not outside that door in thirty minutes, I'm coming back and nothing will stop me from putting you over my knee until you comply with my wishes."