Chapter 16 - Taming the Sun

Earth's face shines in the sun

Everything seemed brighter and my head hurt like I slept on a large boulder. "Ugh," I struggled to get up but fell back on my pillow.

"Take it easy," Sol said from a chair next to my bed. "You had a healthy dose of Brugmansia, thanks to Benin." He held a slight frown. "That's a normal side effect of Brugmansia."

I had to concentrate hard to comprehend what he said through the blinding headache.

I blinked several times trying to understand what he said. The memory of my sparring match with Benin came rushing back. "How long have I been out?"

"You haven't been out that long," Sol said with a sneaky grin on his face. "You were conscious." He shrugged. "You were just speaking gibberish most of the time, but there were a few times you spoke plainly." His smile stretched.

"Oh boy," I said slapping my hand over my forehead. "What did I say?"

He chuckled. "I'd rather not tell you all of that."

I twisted the white sheet around in my hand. "Did I do anything foolish?"

He shook his head. "No, Benin brought you straight to your room." A fire burned in his eye at the mention of Benin. "Brugmansia was a cheap shot."

I cocked my head to the side. "Why? Didn't you say we should use everything short of murder when sparring?" I straightened and did my best Sol voice. "You must be prepared for anything, Pendra." I shook my finger for emphasis.

He laughed. "Is that how I sound?"

"Absolutely." The sound of his laugh echoed in my ears.

"Well, that's a lot less manly than I thought." He stuck out his chest. "How's this?" he spoke in a lower tone.

I snorted and then covered my mouth. How embarrassing. He often made me laugh. "Awful, I like your regular voice better. It is in fact very manly."

"I hope so because you had me concerned."

"Is Mistress Vega your sister?" I asked out of nowhere, taking advantage of the cheerful moment. The family resemblance was unmistakable.

"You couldn't help it could you?" Amusement painted his face. "No, she's not my sister." He held up a finger thwarting my next question. If not sister, then what? Could he be her uncle like Benin was Shiah's uncle or the other way around? I knew without a doubt they were kin. "But she wants to know when you're able to continue training."

I didn't care one bit about what she wanted to know. My mouth flung open for an insult, but his finger touched my lip, halting me. His fingers were soft. "You and Mistress Vega are a lot more alike than you realize." I frowned at him. "Maybe, that's why you two have such a hard time getting along." His statement stunned me to silence. He must've lost his mind while I was out.

"I know how worried you are about your father." A crease formed between his eyes. "I want you to know I'm a man of my word and I have been searching for him. I've dug up a few clues I plan to follow."

I sat up through the pain and studied him. He had on his standard fitted uniform with the zipper at the neck, but this time it was a rust color with white trim. His eyes seemed to have flecks of yellow and red floating around when he made himself more vulnerable. The skin on his face was as smooth as wet clay. The intentional way he carried himself like a large cat on the hunt and countered his deadliness with smiles, made me wonder even more who he really was. I knew he was beautiful.

He moved and sat beside me on the bed. I grew very aware of my disheveled appearance. He stared at me in return. "Do you believe me?"

Watching him I knew without a doubt he was trying to find my father. I didn't know why but I trusted him.