(9) Dancing with a sword

A soft knock on the door wakes me and I can't remember going to bed last night. I remember sharing a lemon, watching part of the recap of the parade and after that my mind is blank, only a red haze before my eyes. "If you want some breakfast,  you will have to hurry." I hear Brutus saying from behind the door. I get out of bed and see that I'm still wearing the necklace I got. I'm so happy with it, so I'm glad I still wear it because I thought I'd lost it "Coming." I say as I quickly put on the trainingclothes, that lay on the nightstand. They are black and consist off black shorts and a black T-shirt, with the number 2 on the sleeves in a square and some grey and red. I go with my hair through my blonde hair and am ready for breakfast. I quickly glance through the window and see the streets are still empty. They don't have to wake early like the people of the districts. Inhabitants of the Capitol are perky people.

The first thing I notice are the eyes, that stare at me. Slowly I walk towards the table and sit down. While ignoring the stares, I grab some muesli and yoghurt in a bowl, scoop some fresh fruit in it as well and mix it together. "How did you do it?" asks Clove, when I'm about to take my first bite.  "Do what?" I ask confused. "You don't remember your reaction after the recap? Look at the wall." she says. I take my bowl with me and walk towards the grey wall. There's a large dent in it, surrounded by cracks, that are making the shape of a spiderweb. Astonished I look at it and almost drop my bowl. Carefully I put my fist in the dent and discover it fits perfectly. Taking the wrist out of the dent I notice the bruises and dried blood on my knuckles. I shrug, turn around and eat my breakfast.

"The only thing I remember after the recap is a red haze, that I always get when rage takes over. Probably because I was so mad at the tributes from 12 for stealing our spot." I explain to everyone at the table, just before we have to go to the elvator. They are a bit satisfied with my explanation, but the avoxes still stare at me with terrified looks. Clove and I stand up and let Discea lead us towards the elevator. "Just do whatever you usually do and talk with the tributes from 1." says Brutus to us, as we step inside the elevator. "No, learn new skills as well and go to Atala, the head trainer, first." says Enobaria just before the doors shut and we are going down. I stare at the city behind the glass and try to ignore the awkward silence.

The elevator stops moving and slides open, revealing the trainings centre. The room is enormous, there are seperated areas for your survival skills, weapon training and mind tests. I step inside and walk together with Clove towards the center, where some tributes are standing uncomfortably and  a woman is standing on a platform. To the right there is a second floor where the gamemakers are sitting, eating, drinking, talking and observing us. We wait for the last tributes to come and then gather around Atala, the woman on the platform. The last tributes step insecure out of the elevator and hurry towards us.

" In two weeks, 23 of you will be dead, 1 of you will be alive. Who that is depends on how well you pay attention to what I'm about to say. There are 3 compulsory excercises, the rest will be invidual training. My advice is, don't ignore the survival skills. Everybody wants to grab a sword, but most of you will die from natural causes, 10 percent from infection, 20 percent from dehydration, exposure can kill as easily as a knife. There are other trainers on hand to practise with you if you need a partner or help. No fighting with the other tributes will be permitted. Now off you go and begin your training to prepare yourselves." says Atala and most of the tributes run off towards the weapon section. I slowly shake my head, they didn't listen and can never beat us.

Clove and I still stand at the platform when two other tributes are coming toward us. The girl and boy from district 1, the other careers. The girl seems overexcited and the boy just doesn't care and ignores the chatter of the girl. "Hey, I'm Cato and this is Clove." I say and point at Clove. "Yepp, I'm Clove as Cato already said." she says. "I'm Marvel." says the guy. "I'm Glimmer and come from a really nice family. They raised me and made me go to the Academy. I really -" she chatters and then get disrupted by the three of us. "Nice to meet you, but can you keep quiet!" we yell. Glimmer looks offended and we just snicker. "Sorry." she mutters sadly.