10. The Investigation

Ysir stood by the stand that supported the spellbook "Now, place the book in front of you and stand still. I will be reading the incantations now," he instructed Jason. Just as Ysir was about to start the incantation, a beam of light shot out from the pages of the spellbook and soon the entire book glowed bright, temporarily blinding Ysir. Light flared out of it in all directions until it started to dim. "This can't be..." he whispered.

"What?" Jason asked, "What's happening?". Ysir stood still, his lips drawn into a thin line. Jason frowned while looking at Ysir. "Ysir, what is it?" he asked again.

Ysir then raised his eyes to look at Jason and his Jade eyes displayed surprise and worry, he stepped down from the dais and walked over to his office and brought back a black shallow bowl with a glistening surface*. Ysir stared at it for a while and the longer he looked at it, the more rigid he looked. "Ysir, what's going on?!" Jason asked aggressively.

"This will have to wait, we have a bigger problem..." he said as he placed the bowl back. "Get your cloak, we're leaving."

Jason frowned as he took a step forward, forgetting about the glowing book lying in front of him. He almost stepped on it when it suddenly glowed a brighter yellow and flashed in his eyes. He stopped his movement and looked down at the book on the floor, set in front of him, the red cover and the red dragon was a dark crimson red and the golden letters flared brightly.

"What?" Jason frowned and bent down to pick it up but as his hand came near the book, he felt cold water swirling around the tips of his fingers but could not see any water. His eyes widened as he felt cold water start to pool around his feet which soon started to rise. "Ysir!" he called out.

Ysir who was facing the coat rack while slipping into his coat turned his head to look at Jason and what he saw shocked him and fear started to spread into his jade eyes. He let his coat drop to the floor and rushed to where Jason was standing, he reached Jason in a few long elegant steps and stared at the scene unfolding in front of him as the gears in his mind spun and moved.

He offered Jason his hand "Hold on, I will pull you out!" he calmly said as Jason grabbed his delicate long-fingered hand. Ysir used all his strength to pull him out of the water gate but Jason couldn't move, Ysir kept trying until he suddenly stopped, an explanation popped into his head, "Jason, I think Ms Andrews might be in The Hunger Games and not in Eldest," he said looking into Jason's crystal blue eyes.

The water now had risen to his knees "What? How can you conclude that? What is happening?" Jason asked, confusion clear in his voice.

"The spell will always have its sacrifice, it will have it in place of the object given from the fictional world. It will have you as an exchange," Ysir explained.

Jason shook his head "I don't understand," he said. Ysir let go of Jason's hand and rushed to his office and brought back a large round glowing stone, it was the size of a basketball and it shone like a polished gem, it pulsed with a green light that emanated from it like light emanating from a star. Jason looked at the glowing basketball-sized gemstone as the water slowly rose to his thighs "What is this?!" he asked, worried about going to the wrong world.

"It's an Eldunari, heart of hearts. It is a dragon's heart and it is alive..." Ysir's emerald eyes met the sapphire blue ones as Jason held his breath to prepare for the worst "Jason, I summoned this using the spell, it is from the book Eldest. It was supposed to be an exchange in place of Ms Andrews, but the problem is, Ms Andrews never went to Eldest since you replaced the book at the last moment. The spell never got its sacrifice, it is taking you instead..." Ysir said, he was intrigued by such an impossible event and it surprised him enough to stop his mind from being coherent, the spell had turned everything into a turmoil.