Pt. IV--35. Repented, Seen the Light, and Made a Switch

Start from the beginning

Ephram appeared as a ball of white light in front of the temple. Word had reached him long before Ursula could. He was waiting for her. As they neared the High Priest, her eyes started to ache from the glare. He was the brightest thing she had seen in more than a year's time. Ganeon let her go and swam off wordlessly before she could thank him.

"You're as white as I am," Venerable Ephram said softly as he gazed upon her hair.

"Grief will do that."

"And so will joy. I'm almost blinding myself at the moment." Ephram was fighting back tears. "Come inside."

***

"A protection spell? But who do they need to be protected from?" Marielle was knitting her pretty brows in confusion.

Ursula smiled. "From themselves!" she said brightly. "You know how little ones tend to find a hundred ways to hurt themselves once they become mobile."

They were in a palatial drawing room. Queen Marielle--she had taken the title upon marrying Triton in the Pacifican fashion, even though Atlantican custom would have titled her a princess--was curled up against the king in such a way that he blocked half her body from Ursula.

Triton nodded at his wife. "It's also a gesture of goodwill, Marielle. An important one."

"Oh, I see." She bowed her head before Ursula and Ephram, who was at her side. "I am most pleased to accept your offer."

Venerable Ephram beamed as he studied his protege's lavender face. Watching from a seat in the corner of the room, positioned diagonally behind the royal couple, Prince Ganeon rolled his eyes at Ursula. It was the first hint she had been given that her playful friend still existed somewhere inside the formidable prince.

Ursula eyes crinkled as a genuine, fang-revealing grin spread across her face. "Wonderful!" she exclaimed, to cover her reaction to Ganeon. "Now, what can I do to put Queen Galataye at ease?"

Marielle looked up at Triton, wide-eyed, and placed a pale hand delicately in front of her mouth. It was annoying; Ursula imagined the satisfying thwack of smacking Marielle's hand down.

"I am very sorry, but Mother refuses to see you...at this time."

Ursula knew how to play the game. Siddikah had been a wonderful teacher.

"Oh, but she must be so busy right now! The arrival of her first grandchildren....triplets no less!"

King Triton exhaled in relief. "Yes, she simply cannot wait to see them. She is overseeing the creation of a new nursery." He looked lovingly at Marielle, who was caressing her midsection.

"Perhaps another time," Ursula said nonchalantly.

"Yes...perhaps."

"Prince Ganeon, would you escort me home?" Ursula asked suddenly. "I know Venerable Ephram wanted to discuss something with His Highness."

"Of course," Ganeon murmured.

Ursula proceeded through the palace on the arm of the prince, but as before, he crushed her against him midway through their swim.

"She's as insufferable as we predicted," he began.

"I can see that."

"Did you know that she's the daughter of that disgusting Pacifican Elder? The one that sided with Alphon at the hearing?"

"What?" Ursula screeched, stopping short.

"Oh yes." Ganeon clutched her hips, pressed his thumbs where tentacles had once been. "That's the worst part. Everyone heralds her as some kind of visionary diplomat, restoring strong relations between the two kingdoms. Going against her own father to do it. Of course, he's come around since. Mother can't stop gushing over it."

"Galataye is blind," Ursula pronounced, and a little thrill ran through her body.

"Indeed. She gets it wrong so often, in matters of character." The prince pulled Ursula into an embrace that was firm and fierce and affectionate, all at once.

"They're staring again," Ursula said huskily. They were on a public path and drawing as much attention as they had days before.

"Let them."

"You shock me, Prince Ganeon," she laughed. Ursula pulled free. "I must appear to be on my very best behavior for awhile."

"Appear to be, or actually be?" he shot back.

Ursula raised an eyebrow. "We'll see."

"Let's hope 'awhile' isn't too long."

"No longer than it has to be."

They swam the rest of the way to Dismas and Melisande's house without touching, the water electric.

"You know I can get your house back for you," Ganeon said as they approached the door.

"No need," Ursula shook her head. She had agreed to stay here so as to not inconvenience the young family that had taken over her former dwelling. Just like she had agreed to stop wearing the nautilus around her neck. Anything Ephram asked of her, she quickly gave her assent. That included undertaking a year of training in prophecy under his direction. "See how modest and obliging I am?" she joked.

Ganeon laughed, but his intense face returned in a flash. "I prefer the real you."

"You might be the only one that does." Ursula took his hands in hers. "Ganeon, your mother is never going to meet with me, is she?"

"No. She's not."

Ursula kissed his cheek. "Thank you for your honesty."

She slipped behind the front door, resolved. If Galataye refused to see Ursula, then she would never see her grandchildren, either.