39

S H A W N

Patting on her slightly creased forehead, I tried to make her sleep. She was holding on my palm with her smallest finger, her head resting comfortably, snuggled in my chest. Her hair had a different smell, that of strawberries mixed with chocolate or something.

Xandra.

It was difficult for me to make myself used to, with that name. After all, the name Lylah had a special place in my heart, just like Xandra, herself, had.

Sleeping, she looked more peaceful. The window on the wall, towards her left side was open, causing slight breeze to flow. Some of her hair made way to her cheeks, resting on it. I slowly took my hand and tried to remove the hair, so that they wouldn't tickle her.

After doing that, I got up to close the window. Xandra stirred in her sleep, the calm look still on her face. I smiled and went back to sit beside her.

What might be the reason behind her kidnapping?

Why would someone be so cruel to an angel like her?

I had no doubt about one thing. And that thing was, I would not leave that man alive if I ever got a chance. He was going to pay for everything he had done. Every scar that Xandra was carrying, was going to be avenged.

Suddenly, she started screaming.

"No! Don't! Please. I'm sorry!", she started moving her hands and legs in a manner which clearly told, the situation which she was dreaming of. I tried to shake her, but she wasn't budging.

"I won't do it again! Please!", tears streamed down her face, as she broke down.

I don't sleep. She had said, during one of our conversation on calls.

Was this the reason she did not sleep?

I started shaking her frantically, trying my best to snatch her away from that horrific dream she was seeing.

"Xandra, wake up. It's a dream.", I kept saying again and again. My heart was crying, my breathing ragged, seeing her so vulnerable and broken.

"No!!", she screamed as more tears emerged from her beautiful eyes, and I hugged her. Putting one hand on the back of her head, in her hair, and the other hand on her back, I started moving slowly.

"You're ok, baby. You are safe. You are with me.", I  kissed her hair, as tears started forming in my eyes. Her strong defensive movements started to slow down.

"I'm there, baby. I'm there.", I kept saying over and over, and she finally started to calm down.

I looked at her and found her to be awake, breathing heavily. Taking in the situation, she calmed down and hugged me.

"Don't leave me, Shawn.", she cried. "He'll kill me."

"I'm never going to leave you. I'm here to stay.", I reassured her, kissing her hair softly.

She was tired, maybe, because she slept soon after, still hugging me. I adjusted her pillow and made her lie down.

Kissing her forehead, I whispered in her ear, even though I knew, she wouldn't hear it.

"I'm here to be with you for forever, baby."

******