63. Just Ask

He took a deep breath and started down the hall, abandoning Scott and Kira at their lockers. He kept his head low, muttered under his breath as he traveled and only glanced up once to make sure he was on the right path. He didn't mean to but he kind of threw his body against the locker next to hers resulting in a small rattling noise. Great start. She looked like what he daydreamed about during math class; hair that was somehow simultaneously neat and messy, a floral dress that gave off the scent of suntan lotion and her long summer, and her makeup was light if she was even wearing any. He could see her freckles. He loved her freckles.
"Morning." He breathed out.
Lydia chuckled and spoke softly with a smile. "Hi Stiles."
Hearing his name fall off her lips could've brought him to his knees right then. He cleared his throat and stalled, examining the contents of her locker. The door had a mirror and some Polaroids of her and a few friends from the summer. She had a few of those magnetic cup holders, one for lipgloss, another for pens, and a third entirely for mints and gum. Currently, though, she was organizing the books inside. He licked his lips and looked over his shoulder. Scott and Kira were watching with eager eyes and when he looked, Scott nodded his head with a grin while Kira made a sweeping motion with her hands, telling him to hurry up and make his move.
He turned back to Lydia and spoke before he had the chance to change his mind. "Uh. . . I was wondering if. . .What're you– what– do you have any plans this Saturday?" He struggled to spit it out but now that it was out, it was out. Cool. Hard part over.
She stopped organizing. He couldn't read her expression as she turned to face him. Oh no, this was a disaster."Are you trying to ask me out on a date?"
"Well, I'm not trying, I am asking. . .You" he clarified but his nervousness lead to rambling and more unnecessary clarifying, "I'm asking you on a date. Like if you would go with me to the drive-in. On Saturday. Is Saturday okay?"

She took a deep breath and turned back to her locker, finishing up with her books. His heart was quivering with anticipation and he knew it would one of three things: leap out of his chest if she said yes, break into bits if she said no, or keep quivering for weeks if she said maybe. Maybe. That was almost as bad as a 'no'.

She slammed the locker door closed and finally faced him. "Yeah, okay."
"Okay?"
She nodded, grinning. "Yeah."
His heart banged against his ribcage and it actually kind of hurt to look at her. Because she was so damn beautiful. And she had said yes. "Cool, uh, let me get your number and I guess I'll pick you up." He handed her his phone and hoped she didn't see how much his hands were shaking. But she was smiling as she typed in her digits and her hands were shaking a little too so he must have been okay. He looked over his shoulder again. Scott was gawking and he was pretty sure Kira was nonchalantly but way too obviously taking photos. She poked his chest with his phone to get him to turn back around and he slipped the device back into his pocket.
"Are they your cheerleaders?" She asked, joking with him. That only made him more nervous.
"More like emotional support. . .that was really dumb to say, shit, I promise I'm not always like this." His face was turning redder by the second but she honestly found it to be cute. She knew for a fact he was almost always like this; flustered and clumsy and tripping over his words. But she liked him that way and wouldn't change it. Ever.
"I should get to class."
"Yeah, you probably should." Lydia laughed as he said his goodbye silently and turned on his heel.

"Wait," she called out and he stopped, always ready to listen to anything that she would tell him, "so you 'guess' you're going to pick me up or 'you know' you will?" She teased.
And for the first time since he had approached her, he felt a bit of confidence overcome him. "I'll be there, Lydia."
||||||
Authors note:

OKAY SO IM WATCHING AMERICAN ASSASSIN (for like the millionth time) AND I WAS MAKING VIDEOS AND ALL DYLAN SAID WAS "sorry" AND I SAID "oh my, someone give that many a Grammy" LIKE WTF IF WRONG WITH ME.
Also, hi.
Comment, read, enjoy!
-Chloe