50.Skeletons

He laughed

He laughed. A happy laugh, full of amazement of the world, one that made her want to shout to the galaxies he was hers. He pedaled on his bike faster and she attempted to keep up but the slender boy was too much. He yelled into the warm afternoon air, the sun and her smile fueling his energy. And She watched him carefully, a laziness in her eyes. The boy noticed and pulled something ancient from his back pocket.

"Lydia." Her name floated from his lips. She turned to him, a camera from the days of band t-shirts in one hand while the other attempted to steer. "Smile, you're a star."
But she rolled her eyes.
"You're my star." He mumbled as they passed the houses he'd seemed to memorize by the time he was eight, the street they had both lived on since the age of sandcastles. The camera, the one that she often tried to avoid, seemed to always be in his hand, ready to capture a memory. Every once and a while, he would take the memory card and print out photos, the photos that turned into stacks, the stacks that replaced the books on his bookshelf.

He had pictures of them doing everything: the time Lydia broke her arm, when she wore a hideously teal dress to thanksgiving dinner at his house when they were twelve, and now when she looked more stunning than ever just riding her bike beside him. Lydia held her hand out for the device and he gave it to her willingly, pedaling faster once again to avoid being captured behind the screen. She caught glimpses of him: the blur of his shirt, the dimple from his grin, the caramel of his eyes when he turned to look at her. And they were best friends, nothing more.
"Want to come over for dinner?" He offered. She nodded and challenged him to a race there.

When they arrived, out of breath from the chase, the only thing coming from their lips incoherent sentences and laughter. They couldn't finish a sentence, stumbling into the kitchen where the sheriff was with a takeout bag.
"I figured Lydia was coming." He smiled and offered the girl some Chinese food that she gladly accepted. The teens thanked him before chuckling quietly, bounding up the stairs and shoving each other into his room.
"I call the–"
"Bean bag!"
They finished each other's sentences, diving towards the chair. The two became a messy pile of limbs on the bean bag. They shared it, him on one half her on the other and with Chinese food in both hands while they watched some sort of film on his laptop.

"Can I tell you a secret?" She said once the movie was over and their food was devoured.
He furrowed his brows. "I know all your secrets." Or at least he thought he did.
"Not this one, this one is new." She turned on her side to face him a bit better and he did the same, noting how she nervously played with the rings on her fingers. "You know when you've known someone forever, for as long as you remember and suddenly they're something more than what they used to be?" Her eyes flickered to him only for a second to try and catch his reaction. But he was still confused.
"Yeah, uh– wait can you repeat that?"
She laughed. "When you know someone, a friend, and then you realize maybe you don't want to be just their friend anymore. What do you do in situations like that?"

"Lyds, that's not even a secret, first of all. Secondly, I guess I don't know. I mean the only real friend I have is y–"
And then he saw the way she was looking at him, the fear and curiosity that overtook her features. He kept trying to think of things to say, his mouth moving up and down. He wanted to ask, but he already knew the answer. He wanted to say maybe she was confused, but maybe she wasn't. Maybe he felt it too. Just when he thought he had found the words, her palm swept across his cheek. And then he was speechless again. All he could think about was her name and how to say it: Lydia, Ly-dia, L-y-di-a. He sighed, tried to ignore how shaky his breath sounded as she leaned closer.
"Are you okay? With this, I mean?" She whispered.
He shrugged. "I'm curious." He sounded small, scared. But he was telling the truth, the thought crossed his mind every now and then. What if they were more?

The world stopped spinning, only for a moment, right when he snapped out of his zone to realize her lips had barely touched his, like she was scared too. She was scared too. So he closed the gap completely, leaned just a little more so their kiss was an actual kiss. He wilted when he heard her sigh, pulled her closer with his hand on the back of her neck. He didn't know how much he wanted this until it was actually happening. And when she pulled away, all he wanted to do was pull her back in.

"Was there...anything?" He asked.
She shook her head, searched his face for some kind of emotion. "I don't know, I-I really couldn't tell."
"Should we try that again? Ya know, just so we can see if we missed something?"
"Yeah, yeah definitely!" She surged forward, crashed their lips together once again and he let out a soft moan that made her stomach churn. The bean bag chair groaned beneath them as Stiles shifted his body to overlap hers just a bit, a hand on her waist now. Never had he thought that him and Lydia would ever kiss let alone be making out in his room.

"Stiles?" Lydia pulled away again, scaring him briefly.
"Yea-yeah?" He stuttered, quite nervous to be honest.
"Do you still want to know my secret?"
He grinned and leaned more into the hand that was on his cheek. "Mhm."
She sighed. "I like you. I think I've liked you for a while now, actually."
He leaned a little closer to her. "I think I like you too." He chuckled.
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Authors note:

Requested by @Kxxdia !! Best friends au but I added the song lol!
Comment, read, enjoy!
-Chloe