59. Ocean Scene

The drive was long and hot and sweaty and no one in particular was a fan of how close they had to be squished into the backseat. It didn't help that Scott was complaining the whole time about not having the passenger seat.
"Dude, it's my girlfriend." Stiles would laugh and glance at Lydia. She would grin and apologize to Scott who was currently sandwiched between Kira, Isaac and Malia. It was better than being in Liam's position, completely trapped behind the backseat in what could barely be considered the Jeeps trunk. Lydias sandals had been abandoned long ago, her bare feet up on the dashboard as she mindlessly obeyed the shouts from the back to change the radio station when nothing good was on. Her toes were painted something crimson but he liked that they didn't match the light blue on her fingernails. Stiles reached over to her side with one hand and placed it palm upward on her thigh. She smiled at how cheesy it was but entangled her own hand between his fingers.
"Everyone smile!" Lydia exclaimed, pulling out a disposable camera from her bag before snapping a couple of pictures of her miserable friends. They put on their best grins just for her.

As soon as they arrived at the beach, everyone eagerly scurried out of the jeep, their backs stiff and their necks crooked. Isaac didn't bother to wait, he sprinted down to the shoreline and immediately into the water making everyone chuckle a little.
"Cavern cliff?" Stiles suggested and they all nodded mindlessly while grabbing towels and sunblock and beach bags. He carried Lydia on his back on their short walk there, her nose buried in his neck and she kissed the freckles that lined his jaw. They laughed when Isaac chased Scott and complained under their breath about the heat but couldn't dare hide the smiles on their faces.

"Jump!" Stiles yelled from the water below. Lydia looked at the distance between them and squealed. She was at the top of cavern cliff; their favorite hidden cove that no one ever visited except them. Stiles was the first to get into the water, the way it had always been. There was rarely a day he didn't smell like the sea or have sand in his hair when the group took trips like this to the shore.
"It's too high!" She shouted back and went to turn around but Scott and Liam were right behind her. They had mischievous grins and immediately picked her up and swung her over the edge of the cliff and down into the ocean. She landed in the water with a small splash and came up for air scolding Stiles as he laughed beside her. Scott and Liam came shortly after her while Isaac waded in from the rocky beachside. Malia and Kira picked through the rocks for sea glass and little crabs that they could call their friends for a while. Stiles smiled watching them. There was something about the summer heat, something in the ocean that made him feel lighter in the chest every time he took a breath.

Some moments later, everyone gathered on the shore for sodas and some grapes Kira brought. Scott complained about Isaac's stale bag of pretzels but continued to eat them anyway.
"Stiles," Malia held up a grape and raised her brows, "catch?"
The boy chuckled and shifted his position. She threw the grape up and he leaned back, opening his mouth for the fruit to land safely inside.
"Victory! I am the grape master." Stiles applauded himself.
"Want to bet?" Liam challenged. Malia took turns throwing grapes at each of the boys, counting how many they counted as the walked further away from her until eventually they were almost waist deep back in the water.
"Final round." Malia announced.
"Where'd Lydia go?" Kira asked, completely distracting Stiles. He glanced over his shoulder for the girl, completely missing the grape competition, allowing Liam to win.

The strawberry blonde was over in a deep portion of the cove, smiling down at the water and only then did he notice the little yellow fish. She was feeding them the stale pretzels in little crumbled up bits. Stiles swam carefully over to her, trying not to startle the fish as he offered her a sand dollar. She chuckled, took the currency and planted a kiss on his lips in exchange. He went back in for another but was stopped by a hand to his chest. Lydia held out the other hand, palm facing up. Laughing, Stiles dug another shell out of the pocket in his board shorts and gave it to her before stealing another kiss.

The spent the rest of the day jumping off the cliff, collecting shells, taking funny photographs, and chasing each other around like children until finally the sun had caught up to them. The sky turned orange and pink and purple and set Lydia's hair a blaze as she helped Liam gather sleeping bags from the back of the jeep. They spoke in whispers though nobody was around and set up their beds for the night in a circle around each other. It had barely been a minute before Lydia snuck into Stiles' sleeping bag. They stayed up a little longer after everyone else to count the stars and share a kiss or two. He buried his face in her hair, her curls seeming curlier with the sea salt and she smelled like suntan lotion and soda and summer. She was his summer.
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Authors note:

Based off of one of my Stydia Perks things I think??? I can't quite remember but I do know that one of y'all requested me to do a full length like ages ago.
Comment, read, enjoy!
-Chloe