Prologue

When I was seven, I use to hear many stories about wolves being wild dogs that can be tamed. I did not believe in those stories because I was really scared. A wolf is a wild animal. Who will not be scared? My perspective about the wolves had changed when I became a teenager. Instead of being scared of them, I've learned to love them.

A wolf pack has saved my life once. I was walking on the road near the woods back then when a dear that is running rapidly towards my direction had almost kill me. But because of the wolf pack that hunts the deer, I was saved. Maybe they were only hunting their prey, but for me they were my savior.

After that incident, I've started to research about the wolves. From how they hunt their prey, what are their rankings, how do they communicate with each other—everything! Everything about the wolves! Their color became my favorite color. Their eyes are the pair of eyes I love staring at. Their legendary spine-tingling howl that they use to communicate became my favorite music.

I've learned many things about them. Their weakness and strength, and how they get killed brutally. Wolves getting caught and killed causes pain to me. Almost everyday, there will always be a news report that another wolf pack was killed by the most painful way of killing. I can't help but be emotional because of those reports. They should be saved like the way they saved my life.

After four years, no one can hear the legendary spine-tingling howls anymore. My favorite animal became extinct. They became extinct because of people being scared even though they don't do anything bad. They became extinct because of humanity destructing their homes, killing them using a knife or any sharp weapon, and worst is killing them using a wolfsbane.

It is hard to accept that my savior will no longer witness the next winter nor the next summer. Where are they now? They are gone. Forever.