Chapter 23

Athena's POV

How did it come to this?

Burning trees.

Thick, black smoke.

Total destruction.

"-na? Athena? Athena! "

Frankenstein's voice snapped me back to reality. I blinked. His face was filled with all kinds of emotions; frustration, worry, anger.

"What are you spacing out for? " he half yelled half asked, "Let's go! "

"R-Right. "

We both ran to where we saw that bright light. Tons of dead bodies were lying on the ground... Human bodies.

Confused? Here's what happened...

Flashback...

Raizel and I returned from the eventful trip.

The road back to the mansion was more enjoyable compared to when we were going to my place....

But the way back is also faster... Bummer.

"Would it be alright if we visit someone before we go to our home? " Raizel asked me along the way.

'He called it our home. ' I thought and I had a hard time not to smile at that.

"Sure. " I gave him my reply.

He smiled and led the way to where Muzaka was (and we didn't get lost).

"Oh hey there. " Muzaka greeted. He noticed me, "Oh, you brought Athena along. What's up kiddo? "

"I'm not a kid Muzaka. " I rolled my eyes at him but smiled, "It's great to see you again since...well, forever. "

"Oh yeah, Ashleen is just by our hut. She's been begging me to see you. "

"Then I should go apologize for making her wait. "

He gave me a smile. He and Raizel went to another place, probably man talk.

I went to Ashleen. 'She's probably gonna yell at me for not visiting for so long. ' I thought to myself.

I chuckled and opened the door. True enough, she did yell at me....plus a few playful punches.

We talked for a while, catching up on some things before Muzaka and Raizel returned.

"We should get going. " Muzaka said.

"Going? " I asked, confused. "Go where? "

"It's not safe here anymore. Humans are at constant war and I do not want to put Ashleen in danger. " Muzaka replied.

I turned to Ashleen with a sad expression but I understood why they had to go.

"I'll try to visit you when I can okay? " I told her

"You better. " Despite the age gap, we're both like the best of friends. She initiated a hug to which I returned.

I hugged her for who knows how long. I feel like I won't be able to feel this hug in a very long while.

"Be safe okay? " I reminded her. She grinned, "Of course. After all, I'll be one of those maid of honors in human weddings Dad once talked about. "

"W-W-Wedding? "

She laughed,"You're so cute when you blush. "

I pouted but smiled after, "That's right. You still have a wedding to attend to. "