Chapter 17

Athena's POV

Nothing really came out of my search inside my family archive. It was literally an empty room. Poof! I wasted about 3 days overthinking that there was some sort of hidden meaning. Surprise surprise, nothing.

This isn't some sort of fantasy where I am the protagonist and I am to expect the answers that I'm looking for in a 2 millenial old room.

"Are you alright? "

I almost jumped when I heard his voice from behind me. Of course my heart remained jumping still. Dear gods, early in the morning and I'm getting heart attacks.

I gave him a small smile and replied, "Yes, I'm fine. Please do not worry yourself over me--"

"Don't lie to me. "

I was taken by surprise. I looked at him and he was staring at me straight in the eyes, as if he was demanding for answers. Although his calm demeanor is still present, I know him well enough to know that he's uncomfortable with the idea that he is clueless.

His eyes turned soft as he spoke, "I care for you, Athena." Bathump, "I do not wish to sit around and do nothing while you are in danger. " He touched the part where his heart was, "It hurts here whenever I see that I can't do anything to ease your sufferings. "

I stepped back a bit, his words refusing to leave my head. I mean part of me refuses it to be forgotten but there is also a part of me that it shouldn't be... And guess what took over?

"My lord, no,  Raizel." I swallowed a lump inside my throat,  "We...cannot care for one another to such measures." I could feel hot tears threatening to fall from my eyes,

"Why? "

I looked at him and decided that I should tell him the truth. Maybe that way, he will understand why.

"You know what your role is...in this world. But me--I don't know mine. Some hooded men are out there, looking for me and would stop at nothing until they do. I don't want you to be in the middle of it just because of our feelings. "

"..."

"Raizel, you are being who already has so much on his shoulders. I don't want my problems to add up to those responsibilities. "

"Do you think I am incapable of protecting you? " he asked me. Immediately I shook my head in disagreement,

"No!" I exclaimed. I don't know how to explain it to him without breaking into tears. I just want him to be safe. As far as both of us know, those people who are after me are relentless and they know something about me.

I didn't notice that he was already inches from me, looking at my figure calmly yet with compassion.

"I'm just...afraid. " I whispered.

"What are you afraid of? "

"I'm...afraid that something bad will happen to you when you try to protect me. " I confessed.

"Do you trust me? " he asked. I looked up to him and he was looking down at me. Red meets lavender. Just by his gaze, I feel safe and secured.

"I do..." But I don't trust the future.

"Then... Everything will be alright. "he smiled at me, "Whoever they are, I will protect you from them. " He stretched out his arms and engulfed me in an embrace. I said nothing.

As much as I want to believe you because I love you, but when the situation comes that you are forced to choose between me and your responsibility... I already know your answer.