Part 6 - Contact and Crabcakes

They sat at their stations on the Bridge, all of them, even Tripp Tucker, who was usually in Engineering, but at that moment Jenny Crossman was watching the big machines.

Hoshi had been able to triangulate, bouncing a signal off a newly-deployed communications buoy. There was static on the line, but at least there was sound. "Just a second," she clicked various keys at her station, "Et voila!"

With a little bit of snow on the screen, the transmission could be clearly seen. It was a human woman. "And we're live from the New United Nations," she began, "I'm Martha Fernandes with the latest. Today, representatives of the NUN reiterated that, quote, 'no Earth citizen can be made to answer for the crimes of their race or their forebears', end quote. This progressive statement was mocked by a Corporal Phillip Green, who was able to interfere with the NUN's transmission. Here is Corporal Green's statement in its entirety."

The scene shifted to a young man in a military uniform, who said, "The New United Nations is a cruel joke on those of us who are out here in the trenches. Talking peace is ludicrous in this day and age! Men don't talk peace unless they're ready to back it up with war. This is not a time for timidity and second guessing. We cannot afford to doubt ourselves. Are you with me?"

There were cheering assents in the background. The screen returned to Martha Fernandes's face. "Green is new to the political scene, and we don't have a lot of information on him yet. Still, ...."

The screen went dark. "Hoshi?" Jonathan asked.

"I don't know," she said, "we seem to be working just fine, so I'm guessing it's them." Tripp came over to see if he could help her restore the broadcast.

"Is that Corporal Green the guy who became Colonel Green?" Travis asked.

"Possibly," Tripp said as he and Hoshi worked, "ya gotta figure he started out somewhere."

"Keep trying," Jonathan commanded Hoshi, "and record whatever you get. Also, try Vulcan and Denobulan transmissions."

"Aye, sir."

"It's rather odd, getting the news from a century ago," Malcolm observed.

"What do you intend to do with this information?" T'Pol asked.

Jonathan was about to answer when Hoshi interjected. "Captain!"

"What is it?"

"We're being hailed."

The captain looked at the faces of the Bridge crew. They had not planned for this. "Got any ideas as to what to do?"

"Uh, answer 'em," Tripp suggested, "and, uh, we'll hope for the best."

The vessel was Xyrillian. "I am Tre'ex," said its captain.

"My name's Jonathan Archer," was the cautious response.

"Are you working with the Imvari?" asked Tre'ex.

"That's a species we don't know."

"Then I suppose that's a negative," Tre'ex said, "They occasionally patrol the area, and can be difficult. They have captured a number of Ikaaran males for the Orion Slave Syndicate."

"Oh, uh, thank you for the warning. We, uh, we may be interested in establishing trade with you," the captain said, glancing over at Tripp.

"We may have mutual interests," replied the Xyrillian, "What are your specifications?"

"Commander Tucker?" Archer asked.

"Uh, this is kinda unexpected," Tripp said, "can we iron out the details with you in, I dunno, a few hours?"