Saya: The Man I love, 1968, New York City

"Yeah, Clark, of course I care. I'm still your friend. I'm just poking fun at you. Tell me why you love Bettie," Rosie said, a gentler look on her dark face.

"Fine," Clark sighed, pushing his thickly framed glasses more up on his nose. He got a drifty look in his too light blue eyes. "She's so kind, you know? She's not rough like the people here. I guess perhaps that's from where she grew up. She was raised differently, different manners. She's got that Southern thing, pulling chairs out for people, placing a napkin on her lap before eating. She still says Grace before every meal, you know. You wouldn't think someone in her position would, but she's still a lamb in God's eyes. She tells me every day. Books are everywhere at her place, she loves reading. When she was little, she wanted to be a teacher, teaching the children. But she had to give it up. She said being true to herself is more important. She is definitely," Clark leaned in closer to Rosie, "she is definitely, definitely not an airhead."

Rosie smiled warmly to him. "Wow, I would never guess." She took a cracker and dipped it into the cheese dish in the middle of the plate and brought it to her mouth. 

"Yeah?" Clark said, still a little snippy, "what about your June? What made you fall in love with her?" 

Rosie grinned and leaned back in her chair. Crystal rolled her eyes at me and I smiled back. 

"My Juney?" Rosie put her hands behind her head in a stretching movement, still grinning, her button down collared shirt tightening around her ample chest, "it was love at first sight. It was before I met you. I went out to the Stonewall one Saturday night. It was a hot, sticky August night. I was expecting to find beer, not some testy woman in the back sitting by herself. Her fire, man. Just her fire. And her boldness. Sitting among the queens, just laughing and laughing. She drew me in instantly. That long brown hair, her long lashes, those breasts!" Rosie started laughing loud as Clark's eyes went wide with the last mention. Rosie quieted, suddenly serious. She rested her hands on the table. "But you know the rest. When she got the cancer. You didn't know this, but...she had to go back to Jackson. Her parents wouldn't pay for her medical bills if she stayed here. I haven't heard from her in two months."

Clark's face fell. Crystal put a hand over her mouth to stay away the tears. So that's what happened to June. 

Crystal reached across the table. "We'll get her back. You know we'll get her back. We'll pay for her bills, we--"

Rosie shook her head. "She's better off there. She needs that medical care. Her parents can keep her alive, that's what matters. What's love when you're dead?" 

My heart twinged at the last sentence. What's love when you're dead? My brain flooded with thoughts about Beau. Hearing them talking about their lovers caused me think about him so much. Spiraling and spiraling in my head. His touch, his face, his everything. I made my face a mask as to not reveal my feelings. But then...

"Enough about me!" Rosie said, suddenly all a-grin again, though I saw the beginnings of tears in her eyes. "Saya, tell us about your lover! We know you've got someone, you keep refusing the dates we set you up on! Who's your secret boy toy? Come on!"

Clark's face whipped to me. "You're gay?! Why didn't you tell me?!"