Beau: Happy Barrels, 1834, Italy

Beau

Happy Barrels

1834, Italy

We were on top of a large hotel, just me and Violette. Violette was smiling and rubbing her hands together against the cold. 

"Ready?" I asked, grinning widely at her.

"Let's warm them up," Violette replied eagerly, walking towards the interior of the roof. She came back dragging a large wooden barrel. She disappeared again and came back with another. Then another. Soon, we had piles of barrels everywhere near the edge of the roof. 

We peered over the roof like two kittens in a hayloft, eager to see what was down below.

The hustle and bustle of the late evening was alive and well down below. People going home from a bit of enjoyment at the theatre, people with late jobs running home, carriages rolling past with determined horses, people eating in outdoor restaurants, unfortunate people looking for a place to sleep. 

"I hope we don't hit Diana~," I sang, heaving a barrel over my head. I heard a squeaking clicking sound beside me and then light burst forth from the device Violette was holding, springing to a very short fuse on the barrel. 

I hopped up and down for a few seconds in joy, whooping with glee, and Violette yelled so I threw the barrel down below. 

The pandemonium was terrific as the barrel exploded over the crowds, sending flaming wood all over them and the colorful fireworks inside zinging around and bursting colorful sparks every which way. They screamed and began to disperse.

Squeak, whoomph, "Down below!!" Violette squealed happily and threw another one down. It exploded in a happy sounding whistle and an explosion of red sparks and lively flames. 

People were on fire, women running around and around as the fire on their skirts climbed upwards. People were screaming for police, screaming that hell was upon them, screaming for god. 

"Police!!" Violette shrieked with laughter, throwing another over the roof. This one just downright exploded period, no color no anything, causing a giant explosion that shook the whole building and blew out the windows of every building near us. The glass went everywhere, even on us but we didn't care. 

"Hahaha, you have glass in your skin!" I doubled over, pointing.

"Hahaha, you have glass in your face!" Violette shrieked in laughter. 

"Hell!!" I yelled, throwing another one down, and at the same time Violette threw another, yelling, "Is upon you!!"

These two collided in the air and packed such a powerful explosion that it threw us back onto the roof. By this point we were giggling so hard that we were holding eachother and crying. 

"I can't breathe!" I laughed helplessly, "I can't breathe!"

"You don't need to breathe, you demon!" Violette laughed, holding me and rolling with me on the roof. 

"Oh yeah!" I laughed even harder. 

It was then that we heard the unmistakable sound of police caravans arriving.

"Time to go, my dear," I grinned. 

"Oh yes, I believe so," Violette grinned back. 

We both took one more barrel each and jumped off the roof. In the air, we glided in twirly swirls as our wide black feathered wings guided us, and with a particularly good somersault, we threw our barrels hard into the panic below, where the ensuing explosion of red sparks and flames lit up the night and fresh screams lifted into the air.

We flew away into the stars as the police looked around the roof full of explosives for two hoodlums who were out of their minds.