24. DEPARTURE

The van offered the surviving duo the needed cover against the police and other persons who might recognize them from the recent events and drove back towards the mountains. There they agreed to bury their friends, deep inside the forest they used to master their powers many years in the past, together getting stronger and learning about their strong and weak points. Luckily, the forest remained mostly untainted by the hand of man and it didn't become a main route for tourists. Dena, who drove for the last part of the road, managed to get the vehicle as near as possible, not risking remaining stuck in the mud, since they needed it on the way back. To her right, Tanya fell asleep on the road and was woken up by her pupil after she made sure that the van will not become part of the scenery.

"Mistress, we're here."

She rubbed her eyes and looked around. There was a thick fog surrounding the forest and an eerie silence, with only several birds that made their presence known.

"Well done. On the way back, you'll get some rest and I'll drive, ok?"

"That doesn't sound bad at all to be honest."

Before they left town, the pair got some basic supplies for the road and tools to help them with their task, which included a shovel and two trolleys. Using the trolleys, they put the bodies of Valleria and Kyre on them and went deeper into the woods; through the trees and vegetation, the duo carved their way and stopped once in a while only to see their bearings, making the walk extremely silent.

"This brings memories." Tanya broke the ice. "I can't believe so many years have passed since our original youths... when we were still learning to comprehend our abilities and stood for each other."

"Don't be so nostalgic." Dena comforted her friend. "Although, I admit that I miss those days. It was much simpler in a strange way... with all of us being around."

"I'm already on the brink of succumbing myself to my sadness... please, be silent for a while, for I wish to mourn in peace."

Dena figured that Tanya was sobbing and barely contained her sorrow and let go on the subject.

"You're right, I'm sorry."

For the rest of the trip, none spoke another word until they reached the desired spot: a small meadow, isolated all around by the thick woods.

"It's still here; our sanctuary hasn't been disturbed during all this time." Tanya smiled. "I wished our makeshift cabin would still exist, but I guess the humidity and time got the better of it."

"Heh, what did you expect? It barely stood on its feet back then."

"This fog doesn't seem to go anywhere, so let's put our friends to their final resting beds. Hand me the shovel, please."

Both took turns in digging the holes, a task which lasted a few hours, but with the soil being wet, the job was not hard, but compensated with the mud. Afterwards, Valleria and Kyre were placed with care within their graves.

"This is farewell, Valleria... Kyre. Thank you for being besides me during all this time and I'm sorry for failing you. I promise that I won't let it happen again, to nobody that I care about, so please, forgive me."

Tanya turned her back and went besides a distant tree, finally letting go to her emotions.

"Take care, you two, wherever you are. I'll stay to her side until the bitter end; this is my promise to you, to her and to me."

After the final words were spoken, Dena went on and covered the graves and in the end masked them as best as she could, just in case anyone ventured around anytime soon. She turned to Tanya and noticed she was doing better.