2. WORKER'S DREAM

Everyone works out of need of money, to socialize or both, but in the end, all eagerly expect that wonderful day when the payment for their wasted hours is received. Friday arrived, luckily, the same day the salary rolls in and the opportunity to hang out with some friends from work was there and ready for many in the company, including a certain group.

"So, week-end, money, a bar close-by and you people being thirsty are the only things making me throw this question to you: Let's go get a drink! Or two... three, shots, wine, tequila, maybe more?" said the overly excited blond man, eager to exit through the window if he could.

This was Dave - a bit shorter and younger than Blake, had blonde hair and a haircut that resembled the Backstreet Boys era. He also was in a relationship, but his eyes ran wild when they saw someone he thought it was worthy of his attention. All in all, Dave was a decent guy and always searched for opportunities to hang out with his friends, be it from work or his private life.

"Ha-ha, I was thinking the same thing, Davey. But don't you know? Kids under eighteen don't belong in bars... maybe we can get you a soda, hm?" the strange chaff made its way to his ears.

The author of the sarcasm was Sandra - Dave's friendly "nemesis" and sometimes Blake's. Rivaling the latter in height and Dave in age, she had black long hair on which she experimented various ways to arrange it, from a simple pony tail, or pig tails to something fancier. With a colored vocabulary and personality to match it, she always spoke her mind if it was something that upset her. By being funny plus her boyish attitude, Sandra always spiced up any conversation she partook in.

Blake wanted to participate in the little fray. "Sandra? Isn't that a girl's name? Are you into men all of a sudden? Leave Dave alone. He's straight, has a girlfriend and I don't think he's eager to experiment new stuff."

"Oh, little Bleak, again you try to upset me with these puny jokes regarding my rough attitude. It will not work ha-ha, not this time at least. Next time I'll castrate you!" Sandra shot back with an evilish smirk. "Anywho, let's roll! We must catch some empty seats, don't we? Being friday and all..." she gestured towards the door.

"Sure, let's go. Only the three of us? What about the rest of the group?" Dave asked.

"Yeah, some have shopping to do, others have to leave town... middle of the summer. People tend to do other things in week-ends." Blake explained.

Beginning to shout, Sandra attempted to push her pair of friends towards the exit. "With that said, move your fat asses, before I get angrier. I'm already thirsty and don't want to get hungry as well... move, move!"

"Ok, ok... Jesus! Give me a minute, you go ahead."

"Fine Bleak, we'll wait you at the exit... just don't take forever." she sighted.

Nodding, he turned to the one extra person he wanted to see with him at the bar and made gentle steps towards her.

Perfect, now to ask Emma if she wants to join. Thinking this, he smiled towards the black eyed colleague, who saw him approaching.

"Em? Me, Dave and Sandra, are going to the local bar down the street to grab a beer or whatever. Wanna join? Salary day, friday, stuff... watcha say?"

She lowered her eyes and replied with a bit of regret in her voice.

"Sorry Bleak, I'm driving and also my boyfriend has planned a movie tonight so, can't do. You go and have fun with those two, ok? I'll join you next time."

As she smiled with the negative response and raising her eyes back to him, Blake smiled back, while being a bit disappointed, but not surprised.

Damn it, I knew it... well, had to try.

"Oh, right. I always forget that you drive. Well, have fun then and tell me all about that movie, ok? We'll talk monday. Bye!"

"Thanks! Will do. See you on monday and take care. Bye!"

Both waved at each other and making his way to the exit, Blake saw Sandra and Dave waiting for him.

"Still no luck with your girlfriend?" said a laughing Dave.

Sandra's eyes widened as she heard her friend's words. "Oh my God! You and Em? But I thought she was in a relationship... tell me everything, did she leave that guy for you, or did you had a man to man fight over the prize?"

Hearing what she said, Blake giggled like a teenage girl, not believing the fantasy that Sandra made up in that small amount of time.

Sandra, always the manly one. Sometimes too manly...

In the end, he decided to play along the silly joke. "Sure Sandra, that's what I did. Didn't you saw the cheering crowd and the ambulance? And the fact that I'm carrying her in my arms is proof that the fight was a success! Also, Dave, you talk too much. I told you, it's nothing between us; now let's go before you say any more non-sense."

Blake didn't liked when his co-worker friends teased him with Emma, especially shouting like mad people. He didn't want her to know about his true feelings, officially at least. She was smart, surely she knew he felt something for her, but better left unspoken until the right moment came.

"Fine, fine... sorry. Let's go." quickly apologizing, Dave took lead.

"I told you that big mouth of yours is... well, big!" Sandra scolded him.

Dave turned his head. "Heh, funny. Did you get that from the internet?" he then proceeded to stick his tongue out to her.

"My God! How immature! I can't understand how your girlfriend copes with your childish behavior."

Trying to keep up with the pair of friends, Blake sighted.

At least I'm no longer their main subject.