21. THE CRIMSON VENGEANCE

The weather settled and the clouds dispersed, leaving only the moon and stars as the guests of the sky. Within the small town by the mountain, covered in mud after his multiple falls, Dave finally reached the parking lot, where they left the car; panting and dead tired after the long sprint across the woods and dense mud, he could use an extra pair of lungs, just to get his breath back. In the end, he didn't waste any more time, fearing for his life and immediately left, back to Tolford.

Just then, Dena, Kyre and Emma arrived and got off the bus as Dave rushed on the small street with well above 100 km/h, almost running through several people, including the three, with Dena snapping and seeking the nearest rock to throw into the windshield, without seeing who was behind the wheel.

"God damned speedsters! I hope you hit the nearest tree in your path, asshole!" she shouted.

"Goes to show, that not only in the big city people are rushing in their cars. Let's start looking for... wait, Dena, you feel that? She's here!" Kyre suddenly turned his look towards the forest.

"Yeah, Tanya is all out, just like a beacon. I wonder what's the deal... maybe she wants to be found or she's in trouble. C'mon, let's go!"

Facing Emma, who didn't get the chance to say anything, Dena told her to stay put, until they returned.

"Stick around, buy some clothes and extra supplies, we'll be back as soon as we find her."

"A-alright..."

It took about ten minutes until they arrived at the forest entrance and noticed from afar the mud trail and in the shadows of the woods, Tanya which was coming their way, at a fast pace, not yet noticing the two.

"Kyre, I won't lie to you, but I'm scared. Although it feels like Tanya, this could also be Entity. She has no reason to use that much power against normal people or wild animals."

"You may be right... let's hide somewhere nearby and wait for her to arrive, then we can see if she's still herself."

***

Back in the town, Emma found a modest diner after she bought the items Dena requested and took the liberty to order something to eat and a cup of coffee.

Until the others arrive, I'll eat up and recover from the road. I just hope they won't leave me behind and go on ahead... I really want this to end, for me at least, return home and continue with my life.

Emma wondered why she cared so much for Blake, although she had a happy life and a good relationship. Obviously she felt something for the man, but it was more of a responsibility, than love or attachment, despite what Tanya and Dena implied numerous times. Perhaps that's why she hoped that by closing this chapter, things could be left behind more easily. One could say that her resolve was a bit selfish.

One last goodbye... and I will have my final answer. she thought.

***

Rustle was heard, nearer and nearer to Dena's and Kyre's location, in the end revealing Tanya's blood stained body. If it weren't for the moonlight, she could've been mistaken for a mass murderer or worse. Looking around, she was obviously trying to locate Dave, but alas, no sign of him could be found.

"Damn, I wasted too much time and he got away, but I will find him and the other critters which sent them here."

Saying that out loud, she continued down the path, towards the town.

"It sounded like her." Dena whispered. "The voice was normal and not echoing like at that time with Entity, but she's a mess and I don't think that's her blood. I'm jumping the shark... if we lose her again..."