11. - SPECIAL CHAPTER I - BEGINNINGS

Start from the beginning

"She is our daughter... but in all these years, knowing who she really was, I could not bring myself to love her, so I trust your wisdom."

"There is no other way. We will send her two or three villages away and if she is discovered, they will not know the daughter of who she is. Our reputation will remain unscarred and will not face the judgment of our own village."

***

A season has passed, winter was near and the moment for their plan was nearing its starting point. Tanya's mother made a package containing some clothes for the cold to come and food. Tanya, now turned fifteen, looked with big eyes at the package and asked who is leaving.

"You and your father are going to a trip and I packed some clothes and food to ease your journey."

"Where are we going?"

"You will find out when we get there Tanya, patience."

"Yes father..."

She sounded a bit disappointed, but inside she was very happy that a trip was planned and that she will see more of the world, beyond their village.

The next morning Tanya bid farewell to her mother and got up the carriage alongside her father and soon after, they departed. The distance between the villages was big, almost half of day with the carriage, while on foot it could of take the whole day. The road went across rivers, through forests, each looming with their dangers... the most common being poachers.

The day passed and nearing the second village, Tanya's father broke up the silence which was present since they left home.

"We are here. Get down, get your things and meet me at the inn. I will be with you shortly."

She complied, without giving a response and entered the nearby inn. A shabby building, full of the village's people, mostly men, who were tired after a long day of work, quenched their thirst with big mugs of ale. The innkeeper spotted the young girl and quickly approached her.

"Hey, little girl. What your business be in these here parts? Such a lovely face should not be traveling alone... you never know what the forests be hiding'."

"I... I am here with my father... we are just travelers and..."

"She is with me." her father interrupted them as he entered the inn. "We will be spending the night here and tomorrow we will be on our way. Here, I think this will suffice for our stay and meal for tonight."

He handed the innkeeper a small bag of coins, which pleased the host and agreed to the proposed deal.

"Very well. Come, let me show yer room and after that I shall give the food."

The innkeeper led them to a nearby door, which, when opened, creaked like it was there for decades, unused. Inside there were two beds and a small table. Enough comfort to suffice tired travelers.

"Pleased?"

"Yes, it is more than what I expected."

After leaving the luggage in the room, they returned to the main hall and were served beans with roasted pork.

"Tanya, after we eat, we go to bed. Tomorrow we will get a head start and you will learn about the destination and hopefully understand the reason of this trip."

"Y-yes father. I must say, it has been quite the adventure for me thus far. Never being outside our village... that I was able to see such wonderful landscapes, I am grateful."

"Well, this was one of the purposes of this trip. Tomorrow, you will see more. Now, finish the food and let us retire."

After returning to their room, being tired after a long day of travel, Tanya fell asleep the instant she closed her eyes, with her father eyes gazing upon her during this time.