Chapter 20- Regiment

"Repel the darkness, by binding yourself to the Oath!" The twelve elders chanted while saluting. The head elder stopped and sat down. "Now it's time to address the troops commander, they should already be formed up. The Regimental Sergeant Major is already waiting for you arrival, shall we?" He said beckoning to the door, I walked and he led me while the others followed behind. We soon arrived at the main hanger, while all of the troops are formed up, almost filling the entire hanger.
"Lights Oath, Attention!" A lone woman standing in front of everybody yelled, once she yelled that command; the entire army snapped to the position of attention, her left leg rose 90 degrees and snapped beside her right. Her left hand held a cane resting in her shoulder, while he left hand never left her side. I had never seen such excellent drill performed in my entire life. The elder led me to a square wooden Dias placed in the middle of the hanger near the back.
When I stepped up and took my place, the RSM yelled the command for general salute. She saluted and the platoon commanders did as well. After the salute she marched to the front of me, saluted and said that we currently have 1,000 soldiers stationed here, the others are currently are out on missions or stationed at our various bases around remnant. In total our combined forces reach around 5,000 men and women ready to repel the Abyss, sir."
"That's a lot to command." I reply
"Would you care to inspect the ranks sir?"
"I would." I said while I stepped off the Dias, she led me to the first platoon. I inspected the first file of men and women, and for the next half hour I inspected the entire parade.

There were 5 companies each with 2 platoons each with 500 total soldiers. The first company I inspected what was called the Lancer regiment. When I arrived at the first rank, I was greeted by the Lancers Company Sargent Major; Captain Neka, she stepped beside me and lead me through the ranks. As the company sergeant major told me, each soldier is outfitted with a Lancer unit; a heavily armed suit, the main weapon is called a GL- Gun lance, the Lancer units are basically a human artillery machine. The unit has a shield equipped on their left hand, the extend the shield into the ground and mount the GL on the right of the shield, while in each hip is a pair of poles that extended to ensure the suit is steady. The amazing thing of this unit is that each shield connects to the soldier beside them, and they all fire together. They are able to fire about 3 rounds each in a minute. Each round is able to penetrate 15 inches of metal. I walked in the ranks, each unit held their Lancer our in-front of them with their shield extracted beside them.
I stared at the armour, each unit was black, about 6 feet tall. The helmet has a black visor, the armour looked thick, the shield was about as tall as the unit, and about 3 feet wide.
"Would you like me to retract it sir?" The armour said, I jumped a little not expecting a person to be manning it.
"You startled me, so each unit here is currently manned?"
"Yes sir. We were ordered to suit up." The Company Sargent Major (CSM) said.
"Nice, yes please retract it."
The soldier nodded, and the retracted into the gauntlet. I was amazed by this technology, it looks similar to my armour but modified, almost better. The gun lance was huge, almost 8 feet in length, the lance part was 2 feet thick and sharp; just by staring at it I felt as if I would get a cut. In the centre piece of the metal was a large barrel, about half as long as the actual weapon. Near the handle was a 3 round mag. The actual rounds were as large as an artillery round.
"How heavy is this, soldier?" I asked the man before me.
"The suit makes it feel as light as a sword, sir. We are able to carry this gear because of the suit."
I nodded, thanked him and continued with my inspection. I stopped once I was finished with the first rank, and carried onto the next company, the Lancer unit CSM stopped in front of me and asked if I had any questions or concerns. I said no.
"This company is impressive CSM, I look forward to working alongside you. I also look forward to manning a Lancer myself."
She chuckled. "We shall get a Lancer unit prepared for you sir, unless you have your own armour?"
"I do in fact, maybe I shall take your company out hunting some time and try out the Gun Lance."
"I look forward to it sir." She said with a smile.