Hapless Ever After

The journey was not an easy one. Every step towards my goal had left a resounding ache in my body. My bones creaked as loudly as the undergrowth of the forest. Twigs snapping underneath my worn feet filled me with disgust. They were weak. For only a second, I stopped to observe a large tree, commanding. Its proud resolve inspired me. I kicked at pitiful rocks in the wild path. I thought about what had forced me into this exact place and time.

I remembered my useless mother, and how she never did enough to take care of me. She was always working, which forced me to spend most of my time alone. I didn't get along with any other children growing up, and none of them wanted to talk to me. I was kicked out of school because I was told that I was extremely unfriendly- as if that was my fault! If I could manage to get a job, it was only a matter of time before they kicked me out. They wouldn't let me live anywhere, as I always ended up evicted as I was never given enough money to pay rent without a job. My brow furrowed and I grit my teeth, fists clenched, trudging on.

I fished an ugly map out of my pocket, as old and fragile as dust. I was close. I could tell by the surrounding landmarks and the proud tree that I was almost there. Finally.

A painful few hours of walking were endured until I would see the mouth of the cave. The pain would be over soon. I had done it! After years of struggle, I could finally fix everything using the magic of the djinn. I would finally get what I deserved.

As soon as I stepped into of the cave, torches began to light themselves deeper inside. I walked down the hall with purpose and excitement. I could see a pedestal bathed in light, the golden lamp sitting atop it, and the reflective wall behind it. The echoes of my footsteps reminded me that I was undeniably and utterly alone. Good. I reached towards the object until I caught sight of a reflective pair of familiar eyes.

It was a mirror, and the figure I saw gazing back at me was not a friendly sight. I didn't realize that it had been so long since the last time that I had seen another person, let alone my own reflection. I looked tired. Dark circles hung under my eyes, glossy and dark. I looked dirty. My hands and face were caked with dirt and grime. I was entranced by the person that I had become. What did they do to me?

I paid no more attention. I couldn't wait anymore. My hands burned as they touched the gold. A hot breeze whipped at my face. I closed my eyes, buzzing with malicious intent.

"I wish that everyone who ever hurt me gets what they deserve. I hope that they disappear."

The lamp clattered to the ground as the hands holding it vanished.