9. Buisness as Usual

The next morning I wake up with a horrible hangover. Thank god Ali showed up before I got even more hammered. I couldn't even imagine how much worse I'd feel if I had actually gotten my hands on that bottle of vodka.

I groan as I turn over to shut off my irritating alarm clock and find a note and a pill bottle accompanied by a glass of water. The note is propped up against the glass and it insists that I take a couple of these pills while Alison is off picking up her girlfriend from the airport.

I sit up and grab the bottle, shaking a few into my hand before popping them in my mouth and downing them with the glass of water. I glance back at my alarm clock and realize that I'm supposed to be leaving for work in ten minutes if I plan to make it on time but I knew that wasn't happening under any circumstances.

I remember that I have a meeting this morning and sigh. I would have to call Maya to push back my meetings if I was going to be going in late. I look at my phone resting on my nightstand and despite every bone in my body telling me not to, I grab it and begin looking for Maya's number in my contact list.

Once I find it I take a deep breath and prepare myself before finally pressing the small green phone icon. I bring my phone to my ear, half expecting to get her voicemail but she picks up but after two rings. "Morning Mr. Matthews" she greets me curtly.

"Uh hello Miss Hunter" I reply awkwardly. I hated that I never knew what to call her, I kinda thought she liked it when I called her Maya but then again I probably ruined that yesterday...well my brother ruined it, I was just an accomplice to the ruining. What am I saying? Get back on topic! "Um I'm gonna be a little late today."

She scoffs. "Of course. Anything else sir?" she asks, an obvious irritation tinging her words that makes me curious as to what's already ruined her morning.

I know I shouldn't but-. "Um is everything okay?" I ask worriedly.

"Everything is just peachy sir. I'll push back your meetings for this afternoon. Have a good rest of your morning."

I sigh. I want to push the subject but I'm clearly the last person she'd like to have a long conversation with so instead I force a smile onto my face and answer with a half-hearted, "you too" before hanging up and climbing out of bed.

Hoping that a shower may invigorate me a bit, I walk over to my bathroom and strip down before climbing into the stall and turning on the water. I let the warm water rain down on me and do it's best to break me out of my tired, hungover state until the water turns cold and I'm forced to face the rest of my day.

Thirteen minutes later I'm out of the shower and dressed, feeling much better as I make my way down the stairs only to be met with the only two women in my life who tolerate me, walking in through the front door trialing Beth's luggage behind them.

"Joshie" Beth squeals as she rushes towards me and throws her arms around me. "Oh my goodness I missed you" she exclaims making me chuckle as I pull back to look at my best friend's girlfriend.

Beth was a beautiful, eccentric woman who could always brighten a room with her short red hair that fell just slight of her jawline and her stunning green eyes that Ali was enthralled with. Her figure was on the taller side but her height complimented Alison's perfectly.

"Welcome home" I reply with a bright smile. As jealous as I was that everyone in my life seemed to be happy in their relationships I was still glad she was back. She was more than just Ali's girlfriend, she was my friend and I loved having her around. "You staying for a bit this time?" I ask curiously and she glances over at Ali.