Chapter Twenty-Five: Ticking Clocks

Start from the beginning

Never would I have thought that Joshua would end up in my kitchen this way. Hell, I had no clue that I would care about him and he would let out his problems to me. Life had a funny way of doing the exact opposite of what you expected.

Our perfect moment was awkwardly ruined by my embarrassing ringtone. I cringed when Justin Bieber's voice broke through the silence as he offered to be my boyfriend. I hated the kid, but no one could judge me for being weak when it came to that song.

Now I was ready to crawl under a rock for setting it as my ringtone in a moment of weakness and giving Joshua such a huge advantage. I could already see the smirk creeping into his face when he realized that he had something to make fun of me for.

Rolling me eyes, I slid my index finger across the screen and answered into the receiver.

"Where the hell are you? He ran away didn't he? Typical. Lilly Fenster, I trusted you to keep him in check. What the hell happened?" Lanning fired a million statements in the span of a minute, leaving me stunned.

"I'm at my apartment. Who ran away?" My mind was boggled. I had no clue as to what Lanning was referring to.

"Why the hell aren't you at the airport? The jet leaves for Spain in an hour, you and Joshua haven't checked in yet! I just got a call from Johnny, telling me that you two aren't there!" I could tell that Lanning was pissed.

My mouth popped open when I remembered everything. How the heck had I forgotten the trip to Spain? Joshua had a runway show and I had become distracted by him! I had completely forgotten everything the minute I woke up next to him. I slapped at my forehead in anger.

Nice one, Lilly.

"Lanning, don't worry. We're just running a little late, but we'll definitely make it." I tried to sound calm and reassuring, as my breathing started to become labored. Things were not looking good.

"What happened?" Joshua was trying to rise with an inquiring look on his face.

"I might have, possibly, maybe, forgotten that you need to be on a plane in about forty minutes..." I tried to make my voice sweet and innocent, but Joshua understood the mess we were in. His mouth opened into a big smile, like he thought the entire situation was amazing in a good way.

"This is not an 'I'm going to smile' situation! This is an 'I'm going to lose my shit because this is bad' situation!" By then I was walking around in circles, trying to wrap my head around the fact that I had screwed up and that I had to leave at that very second, meaning that my kitchen was going to stay in its current sticky state.

I almost fainted, thinking about the way it would smell when I would come back, but I didn't have time to clean things. I was most definitely not leaving my apartment without a shower, though.

"Damn, Lilly. Someone's a potty mouth." Joshua continued to smile at me. If he only knew the profanities in my head, I thought sardonically.

"This is not the time to realize that I talk like a sailor! We need to get ready fast!" I started trying to wipe the counters with a roll of paper towels. Stupid marketing strategies, making the damn consumer think the fucking things were durable. The paper towels ended up sticking to the counter and ripping off in the process, making everything look worse than before.  

"I know!" Joshua exclaimed, raising an index finger in the air. My hopes were raised by the knowing look he had on his face.

"What?" I asked, thinking that he had a solution to our problems.

"Maybe, we can save time by showering really fast!" Joshua claimed, overly excited.

"No, shit." I replied dryly, rolling my eyes at being played. I had given up on the paper towels and had picked up an actual dish towel.