Chapter Nineteen: An Illusion and A King

Recounting their first meeting with the child, her mother's disappearance, the events that ensued through their time at the hostile village, and the warnings foretold by the healer took significantly less time than the Master had anticipated. Refusing to allow herself to speak, the Enchantress sat in silence while the boy by her side rambled. With every word that left the researcher's lips, the Enchantress witnessed her Master's eyes widen as her pallor paled.

Silence filled the small study as the apprentice ended his lecture. He shuffled in his seat and looked from the Master to his mentor, wondering if he had stated anything wrong. His gaze wandered back to the woman behind the desk, who sat quietly as she stared down at the plethora of loose paper on her desk.

In a sudden frenzy, she began shuffling through the papers and opening drawers to extract books whose pages she ruffled in haste. The travellers concluded what she searched for was not in those books, for she stood and began browsing through the multitude of books that lined the shelves around them. Her search only ended when she reached the bottom shelf of a rickety cabinet. She picked out a beaten, discoloured journal with no leather bindings. The paper-backed volume barely held together as she flipped through its fragile pages. Running her finger down the pages as she walked back to her desk, the woman seated herself.

Reaching what seemed to be the end of the writings, the Master's puzzled expression dropped to one of dismay. She raised her gaze to look at the child, studying her closely.

"Child," she started, "can you show me something you see?"

The little girl slightly raised her head to address the woman, bobbing her head lightly.

As the child stilled, the desktop before the master cleared, diminishing itself into what was now an earthen floor. The walls slowly dissipated, stealing with them, the books and papers that filled the small room. Trees and shrubs phased into view as a cold breeze passed through their setting, sending a shiver through the three, unprepared onlookers.

The Master let an audible gasp escape her, standing to accentuate her shock. Eyes widened and lips parted, she took in her new surroundings. The familiar, lush greenery and lifelike murmur of the Forest of Illusions enveloped them, the taller rooves of the Enchantress's manor barely hidden by the foliage. As the group observed in aw, a flickering light and barely audible voices from nearby broke them from their trance.

Turning around to peer towards the sight of her manor, the Enchantress honed her ears, attempting to pick up on the mumbles. As she took a step towards the sounds, she felt a small hand grip hers. Her gaze shot down to find Zel standing between the boy and herself, her grip on either party. Taking a step forward, the child led the two towards the flickering, yellow light, leaving the Master to cautiously follow.

As the little girl strategically guided them through the trees, the Enchantress noticed the voices become clearer, noting a group of no more than five must have been speaking. The voices were a mix of those of men and women alike, neither party lesser in volume. As the group passed into a lit clearing, the chattering group in question came into view. Standing in two distinct parties, three women, masked in cloaks, confronted two men. Three more men, armoured and silent, stood around the meeting, holding the firelit lanterns that illuminated the scene.

One man wore a heavy coat, his hands encased in leather gloves as he stood nearer to the women, talking with animation as a grin held his lips. The other stood slightly further away, his body veiled with a velvet cloak. The royal blue garment was trimmed with a thin border of white fur, while its wearer, King Edward, stood with his arms crossed and face twisted with the same distaste it displayed when he shunned the Enchantress.