"Me too. We'll speak soon."

All I could do was nod and look down as he finally opened up the door and walked back out of my office. I released a deep breath I'd been needing to let out since he had entered. Before then, my breathing had been shallow, struggling to take in the fact that he had been sitting right in front of me again, and that he now knew about his daughter.

It was agonising enough to watch his reaction to finding out, yet even worse to see him walk away with the knowledge I would have assumed to change something, anything.

But it didn't.

I would be naive to think otherwise. Our lives were still too dissimilar to cross over and include one another again. I was still going to be alone with Riley, my telling would not change that fact.

"Savannah?" I lifted my head up with the realisation that I had been staring absentmindedly at the wall in front of me, not having made a move to see Nathan again. Which was only followed by his voice shouting my name from outside the door.

I hastily wiped under my eyes in an attempt to rid the mascara marks I assumed to be there after speaking with Josh. I sniffed before standing up, smoothing down my skirt properly due to the sitting down crease.

"Are you ok?" I heard Nathan's voice again when he stepped into my office, "you look like you've been crying. Did Josh say some—"

"No, no, absolutely not. I'm just not feeling well. Josh came to talk about the article, again," I attempted a laugh and wiped my eyes for the second time.

"You head home, I'll finish up here," I smiled sadly up to him when he stepped closer, "take tomorrow off if you're still feeling rough."

"Is this special treatment? Because I don't think any of the other staff would be too pleased about that."

"I'm just an employer caring about one of his fellow employees." He leaned down to press a kiss to my cheek, "although, that is not something I tend to do with the people who work for me."

I finally laughed wholeheartedly again and wrapped my arms tightly around Nathan's torso, craving the close comfort of someone like him. Before, it would have always been Josh, and then it was Riley. Yet as of right now, Nathan was managing to provide the same consolation that my arms alone would never suffice.

"Still up for coming round to mine on Saturday night? That is if you're feeling better, of course."

"I'm sure I'll perk up by then," I smiled and leaned upwards to press an eager kiss to his lips.

"I hope whatever you feel isn't contagious." I slapped his arm with a humorous smile being thrown my way before I finally pulled my arms out from around his body.

"I'll see you tomorrow at work."

With a last nod and a smile, I managed to exit the office and the building, yet still with a heavy weight resting down on my shoulders and convincing myself that I had somehow done everything wrong and that Josh now thought the very worst of me for what I'd done.

I practically collapsed against the back of my apartment door once I opened it up to Valentina and April, delicately positioned on either end of the couch with a very excitable Riley in between them.